Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Getting to Hvar LDSH (Croatia)

You ALL are more than welcome to visit us any time :)
Pls no rush, my beer funds are limited :P

Just one note before any Fly In arrangements, we are about to start works with soil drainage pipes
on THRESHOLD 28. During the works the runway must be shorted for 50-100 m.
During that, the State vertical emergency services must be relocated on the middle of runway.
Exact date is still unknown but must be sometime before the summer.

After that and planting of fresh grass, we are making that
32 × 32 helipad for emergency services / run up area, for fix wing civil traffic.

The nice fly in can be arranged after that. We may also declare the open day for locals
in way to educate local community what is the real purpose of small island grass airport.
Because now days we are fighting almost every day with runway intrusions:
drones, goats, sheep-s, donkeys, dogs, hunters & empty hunting munitions, quads, bicycles, kids,
cars, grown people running across, trucks, golf balls, arrows,
even one ljama (Lama glama) spotted wondering on runway.

Last Edited by 9A_LDSH at 13 Feb 08:49
Croatia

one ljama (Lama glama) spotted wondering on runway

That won’t fly very well with insurances, “it was a Lama in Croatia”

32 × 32 helipad for emergency services / run up area, for fix wing civil traffic.

That would be super !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I was at LDSH today, easy to land and at the edge of DA42 comfort zone for take off (sort of).

Ground roll was 370 m (2 people and only 36 gallons of fuel) and distance to 50 feet was 672 m. Runway length is 750 m, grass was short and ground was kind of soft while headwind on take off was 6 kts. Book value at this TOW for ground roll is 348 m and distance to 50 feet is 513 m. Grass increases ground roll for 10% and soft ground 45% while headwind should decrease it for some 5% which gives 527 m ground roll in worst case scenario which is still acceptable. Obviously, ground was not so soft because I ended up with ground roll just a bit longer than book value for tarmac.

I’ll stay in touch with the operator for subsequent visits and maybe organizing some fly-in while the strip is still grassy.

Last Edited by Emir at 17 Mar 19:06
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Thanks for the “measure” PIREP !

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Mar 19:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I’m curious, how does one actually know what ground roll was on take off?

Forever learning
EGTB

Emir wrote:

I was at LDSH today, easy to land and at the edge of DA42 comfort zone for take off (sort of).

I’ll stay in touch with the operator for subsequent visits and maybe organizing some fly-in while the strip is still grassy.

It was our pleasure to host you today.

Croatia

Stickandrudderman wrote:

I’m curious, how does one actually know what ground roll was on take off?

Upload data from logging card to https://www.flysto.net

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Be warned
LDSH is again in “Our Africa” mode.
The grass is cut to the ground, the stones & dust may easy reach your prop…
Writing from experience, just visited Hoffman Props in Rosenheim.

Croatia

The grass is cut to the ground, the stones & dust may easy reach your prop…

Unfortunately… it was ok when I was there few months ago but then the grass was fresh and properly cut.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I flew into Hvar this week and my concerns were put to shame – it’s a great destination, also for a sensitive souled airplane like a Cirrus :-). We did Lido previously which I found much worse.

A couple of photos of the runway, which would have helped me in my planning

And having young kids with much better video editing skills than I will ever have, produced this:
https://youtube.com/shorts/4PabKaUpMyc?feature=share

We’ll be back, It’s a great destination. Only trouble was finding somewhere to park. There was a PC12 there and plenty of ULs with very small tires.

EGTR
Sign in to add your message