Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Getting to Hvar LDSH (Croatia)

There are many posts and questions in the forums which reference the popular destination of Hvar and the challenges in getting there.

I am just wrapping up 10 days in Hvar with my family and found out a lot that might be useful.

Firstly, yes there is an airfield on Hvar itself. We visited it today to satisfy our curiosity and for future reference. It is on the N side of the island, about 3 miles east of the town of Stari Grad. It actually sits in the middle of a Unesco World Heritage site, the Stari Grad plains. The agricultural system on these plains was established by the Greeks in 384BC and amazingly hasnt changed since. The soil is very fertile (unlike the rest of the island) and the greeks piled up all the stones into very large walls between the fields, 3 to 6 ft high and up to 6 feet wide. Vines, olives and lavendar are the principal crops, as they have been for 2,300 plus years. In the middle of this sits a grass/soil strip. You can see it on Facebook Hvar Airfield
While it appears to have grass cover in the spring, by this time of year it was 95% compacted soil – fine and brown. However there were stones every few feet, up to about 2 or 3 cm across, on the surface. Two aircraft were parked there today, a Diamond single and an old Piper Archer I think. I personally would not bring my aircraft in here, but as FB shows, even a PC12 has landed here in the last couple of years.

So what are the other choices.

Spilt LDSP – even arriving in the middle of September I was told “one hour max turnaround”.

Brac LDSB – this is well covered elsewhere. However getting from Brac to Hvar is not so easy. I was quoted the ridiculous sum of E2,500 by my villa rental agent for the 20 minute taxi to Bol, boat to Stari Gard, and 30 minute taxi to Havr port. What I discovered today is that I could have arranged it myself for well under E300. The key is that there are plenty of boat taxis who will carry you across from Bol to the two closest towns of Jelsa or Vrboska for only E100 and taxies are everywhere. The ferry options are not at convenient times and much slower etc.

Zadar LDZD – this is what we ended up using. It is a 90 minute car ride from Zadar to Split where there are ferries and fast catamarans many times a day to Hvar. A taxi would be expensive but there is a very good car service called Octopus Transfer which did the ride for us for E150. At Zadar, landing and takeoff are each charged at E16 (just under 2T), parking is about E15 per day, which I think is reasonable. But because I arrived on a weekend I was required to use the GA/Business terminal at a cost of E175.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

A friend of mine flew his family this august in DA40 (he does altiports, ULM strips and grass on it), yes one need some courage I know someone who has a motor-glider G109 based permanently down there, so there is some life after all !

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Sep 19:48
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Buckerfan wrote:

Firstly, yes there is an airfield on Hvar itself. … a grass/soil strip. You can see it on Facebook Hvar Airfield
While it appears to have grass cover in the spring, by this time of year it was 95% compacted soil – fine and brown. However there were stones every few feet, up to about 2 or 3 cm across, on the surface.

I was there in 2019 with a Cessna 172. On the fourth landing after departing Hvar the left main tyre punctured. In retrospect, I believe it had begun losing pressure earlier than that as the aircraft was leaning very slightly to the left when parked in Venice/Lido. At the time I attributed that to soft and uneven ground, but now I don’t know.

Of course it is impossible to say if there was a actually a relation between the puncture and the runway surface on Hvar. The runway did not feel very rough but as you say there were small stones.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This is on 23/9/2022

From ~3000ft so one can’t see small stones but it doesn’t look great, and the general soil in the area is an extremely fine powder which would get everywhere.

Yes, PC12s have gone in there and I heard them on the radio over the years, but most PC12s aren’t owner flown

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

most PC12s aren’t owner flown

But above all have way bigger wheels than most of us…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Those reverse beta propellers in PC12 do very well on gravel as they reppell stones (pilot joking or salesman pitch )

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Sep 17:49
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I got a boat from Brac (Bol) to Hvar for €25, a couple of weeks ago.

Off season, it is likely to be a different story.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Me and Pavla visited Hvar this July by our Europa XS Mono. See the airport pirep here .
The flight was easy. We looked at AIP, got the landing permit via SMS, and then just took off. We did it in three legs for fuel and immigration, LKKL-LJPZ, LJPZ-LDSB, LDSB-LDSH. The last one was a spectacular freefall rather than a leg. BTW, it was also our first flight with oxygen, and it really has been a positive change.

The Hvar LDSH is a good and easy airport.

Dan wrote:

way bigger wheels than most of us…

Well, perhaps, but not important. Our Europa has only one main wheel, it is 8.00-6, designed for much more demanding runways than the Hvar one. Apparently the pilots are not affraid of the surface. The apron was full, with planes ranging from ultralights to Cessnas to DA42 and PC12. The runway is flat and smooth, no bumps, no obstacles on approach. As to dust, well, yes, when we returned to our plane after a week, we saw little traces of the red dust between wing trailing edge and flaps. We saw also the omnipresent dill growing through that slot :-).

More interesting situation was on departure, when after liftoff I noticed a loss of airspeed indication. Once airborne I did not want to land again and rather continued flying home without ASI. Once at our homebase, I pushed the bug out of pitot tube and created a nice red pitot cover. That is perhaps the only advice I have regarding Hvar – please use the pitot covers.

As to local transportation: a taxi picked us quickly and for 30 Eur drove us to the Hvar city. There we got a 20Eur (more or less) tickets to the ferry boat to Korcula. At Korcula we rented a scooter for cca 40 Eur per day, and drove to our friend’s scuba diving base where we spent a beautiful week.

Once or twice I met someone wearing a black T-shirt with white message “Thanks God I am Dalmatian”. That says it all. Just land in Hvar and enjoy the paradise.

Last Edited by Pavel at 28 Sep 09:43

Buckerfan wrote:

Spilt LDSP – even arriving in the middle of September I was told “one hour max turnaround”.

Buckerfan wrote:

At Zadar, landing and takeoff are each charged at E16 (just under 2T), parking is about E15 per day, which I think is reasonable. But because I arrived on a weekend I was required to use the GA/Business terminal at a cost of E175.

So 2 more of the Croatian airfields have become unusable/expensive.

Pavel wrote:

The runway is flat and smooth, no bumps, no obstacles on approach. As to dust, well, yes, when we returned to our plane after a week, we saw little traces of the red dust between wing trailing edge and flaps.

Sounds less intimidating than some grass fields with the odd gopher hole. compacted earth can be as hard as concrete. If you use the proper technique, i.e. never stop with high power on e.t.c. then I guess this kind of runway is less of a risk than others.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

So 2 more of the Croatian airfields have become unusable/expensive.

Unfortunately yes, as we’ve already discussed in other threads.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
111 Posts
Sign in to add your message