Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cheap JET-A?

I’m flying my DA42NG around Europe and have been a bit surprised by how high JET-A has been running. Through Germany/France/Spain, I’ve seen prices upwards of €3/liter with taxes, even when using my BP card!

Are there any good deals on JET-A? I’m next routing though France, Switzerland, Germany, Italy and Greece.

On that axis, diffcult.

Generally speaking, Jet-A is somewhat cheaper in all the eastern European countries. Plus the UK.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 20 Sep 14:14
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Luxembourg ELLX has cheaper Jet A1, but they have increased the fixed costs (handling, etc) so much that it will probably not be worth it for the tank capacity of a DA42

ELLX

Try the Swiss airports. I just looked up LSGS Sion. For Jet A 2.20 plus 7.7% VAT. Not great, but better than 3 per litre.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

lionel wrote:

Luxembourg ELLX has cheaper Jet A1

The days of cheap JetA1 in Belgium and Luxembourg are unfortunately gone. Both countries now seem to charge mineral oil tax. Still on the lower end of the European average but nowhere what it used to be. I remeber refueling there for 0,60 EUR / liter all in…

mike.miller wrote:

Are there any good deals on JET-A?

Do you have a WFS card? How much do you uplift at once? In general big airports tend to be cheaper on JetA1 but then you have to take into account landing fees and even some cases where a minum fee of 50 Euro so might be charged if you uplift less than 1000 liters. In Germany prices vary from around 2 Euro all taxes at big airports to 2,70 EUR or more at small ones.mike.miller wrote:

even when using my BP card!

That card usually does not give you any very special deal (contrary to others) but just has the convenience factor especially at genuine BP locations. In the end that is the only place I would suggest using it, when the truck actually has a BP logo. The other cards might give you a much different price from the “cash” price. At big airports I have seen 0,50 to 1 Euro difference. Some simply want to scare you away if you have no such card.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

If the BP card doesn’t usually help, what does? I have C.A.A., Everest and World Fuel accounts. I imagine only the World Fuel account will work in Europe?

In my experience, Word Fuels is usually the cheapest, unless the location is operated by BP.

Sebastian_G wrote:

Both countries now seem to charge mineral oil tax. Still on the lower end of the European average but nowhere what it used to be. I remeber refueling there for 0,60 EUR / liter all in…

Yes, they used to forget to charge excise tax at ELLX, in contravention with the law, and now they charge it. Plus since February 2021 or so also a “CO2 tax”. Plus you pay tax on tax, meaning VAT on the excise tax and VAT on the CO2 tax, like everywhere in the EU. But in Luxembourg the excise tax is the minimum allowed under EU regulations, that is 0.33 EUR/l. (Plus add CO2 tax of 0.06064 EUR/l.)

Still, I find that the “price without tax” in ELLX is more fair compared to the market situation. In the middle of 2020, when global market petroleum oil prices were extremely depressed, ELLX was selling at 0.30 EUR/l + tax; French airports were selling at something like 0.85 EUR/l + tax! That was a double whammy, higher base price and higher tax on top.

Last Edited by lionel at 20 Sep 16:11
ELLX

LOIH currently 1,89€ (cheaper than diesel at the gas station). MEPs need PPR and runway is only 630m with a tight pattern, so probably a bit sporty with an DA42.

loih.at

Austria

runway is only 630m with a tight pattern, so probably a bit sporty with an DA42

Not an issue for light landing but that could be a problem if you are going heavy, after all you are lifting lot of heavy JetA? the risk-reward for 200€ saving on fuel why not

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Sep 19:58
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

mike.miller wrote:

If the BP card doesn’t usually help, what does? I have C.A.A., Everest and World Fuel accounts. I imagine only the World Fuel account will work in Europe

As a rule of thumb:
- If the logo says BP, give them the BP card. Price will not be great but still the best option at that location.
- If the airport has got any kind of airline traffic use the World Fuel card (you can check details online and beware of minum uplift fees etc.) For very small uplifts using the BP card might help as it might come without those fees but with a higher price per liter.
- Finally at all other airport pay cash or with credit card. Using WFS, if accepted, usually just means WFS will pay the official price and charge you maybe 10% on top for their admin effort. Check prices in advance by phone. Cosy little airports might be cheap but others are crazy expensive due to low sales volume.
- As an exception to the above rules alway pay by credit card in Croatia no matter the airport size.
- If you can, refuel outside the EU, for example UK, Serbia etc., as some of those countries have mineral oil tax free JetA1.
- Always consider airport fees and fuel prices combined. No point in low fees and crazy fuel or 1000 Euro handling charges and cheap fuel price… Usually medium size airports will be your best choice.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message