Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Doncaster EGCN soon to close ?

Emir wrote:

Peter wrote: The Big Q is how they managed to accrete 800 employees…

Did you notice the other day at LICR security employees, handlers, marshalers, refuellers, firemen, customs officers, a dozen of police officers, check-ins, desks, cleaning people plus who knows hoy many in administration. I counted at least 40 people moving around at ground floor of the airport with 2 to 4 commercial flight a day in the middle of nowhere.

It looked the same for Doncaster.

EGTR

You should of been at Sheffield city.

56 people to run 1199 meters of tarmac!

Doncaster airport closed today.

They didn’t waste much time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Doncaster airport closed today.

That’s the reason I went there a few weeks ago! :)

Peter wrote:

They didn’t waste much time.

True. They were loosing money… Although there is talk of a compulsory purchase (?), which is supposed to allow to buy it back.

EGTR

It looks like the controlled airspace will linger till possibly November 18th according to a note in Skydemon. There doesn’t seem to be any NOTAMs deactivating the CAS right now. Any ATCOs still working that airspace? I’d personally still avoid it if I didn’t get a response on the radio.

Too bad if the airport is lost, as we know, once an airport is gone, it’s gone forever due to the impossibility of getting planning permission for even a grass strip.

Last Edited by alioth at 01 Nov 16:41
Andreas IOM

I suspect, looking at the speed of it, that a deal has been done under the table with some property shark consortium.

Otherwise, you have a number of business tenants who don’t use the airport and will obviously carry on paying their rent, so you have income, possibly quite a lot. They could have laid off ATC (to get an immediate and substantial fixed cost saving; probably a million a year or two) and get some FISOs or A/G.

A “GA owners’ consortium” to buy the aviation facility would be the ideal solution but unfortunately almost everybody in UK GA wants to freeload off everybody else; even a based TBM owner won’t pay a penny for security of tenure for his multi million quid plane.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So Doncaster whilst closed will maintain the airspace with air traffic services according to CAA. Can anyone think why?

UK, United Kingdom

It was an agreement to keep honouring LARS after closure before finding a solution

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Nov 17:57
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Doncaster Robin Hood. We will miss it. The famous ROGAG 20 SOUTH Departure :(
Have been flying there for more than 15 years…

Poland

Latest NOTAM shows the CTA/CTR/ATZ is active from 0800 to 2200 – if the airport’s closed, why the controlled airspace, and why the spend on ATCOs? (If they are just providing LARS, then the CAS could surely be notamed inactive at least until it gets removed permanently).

Not that the CAS is really much of a problem, I’ve only flown through the area a few times but never had any issues getting a clearance.

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message