Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Southend EGMC Advice

I need to drop of a passenger at Southend and need a quick turnaround without sky high fees. Any advice ?

It was roughly 50£ early June (about 35£ ILS + landing plus 15£ one night parking)
Self-handling: you need own hi-viz, ID for all POB, PPL+Medical

By far the best GA airfield for London

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Aug 16:38
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

3 reports on the EuroGA airport database

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Was thinking of flying over to the UK this weekend, is Southend still the best choice for visiting London?

EHTE, Netherlands

Bobo wrote:

Was thinking of flying over to the UK this weekend, is Southend still the best choice for visiting London?

It depends! :)
EGMC – ILS on both ends, 52 min train to London Liverpool Street. Might one of the cheapest ones?
Biggin – ILS on one end, will take a taxi then train to London, about the same time. Slightly more expensive.
Other options are: Redhill (grass, longer runway), Elstree (hard, shorter runway), Fairoaks (hard), Denham (hard), Wycombe air Park (hard), to name the few.

As I’m based in Elstree, I’m partial to that one. :) Less than 10 min taxi to train station and then 20-25 min to St. Pancras International.

AFAIK, EGMC is the only one where you could hop on the train and don’t use bus/taxi/etc.

EGTR

Yes, Southend is great. PPR by email or phone. I’ve always found it very easy to use and the walk to the train station makes getting into central London (Liverpool Street) very easy. You can pay the fees on the Aerops app.

EGTF, United Kingdom

Still takes almost an hour though. That’s plus waiting for the train and getting to where you want to go from Liverpool station.
So at least consider Biggin Hill and taking an UBER straight to where you want to go. Costs 48 GBP to London Bridge for example. Outside of peak hours, it takes about 40 minutes.

Biggon Hill airport fees are of course noticeably higher than Southend’s these days.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

So at least consider Biggin Hill and taking an UBER straight to where you want to go.

Or Elstree, Fairoaks, Denham – depending on where you need to be, if you don’t need IAPs. If you do need instrument approaches, then it would be Southend or Biggin, with Biggin having IAPs just to runway 21 (03 is circle to land).

EGTR

I was considering Biggin Hill, but kept reading nice things about Southend. The idea was to fly over, take the train to London, have a bite to eat see some sights and fly back again the next morning. Time is a factor, so this is worth considering. Thanks all! I don’t really need a IAP, but I do appreciate it, so I do not have to bother with overhead joins and such.

EHTE, Netherlands

And I want to save Elstree for another time to visit the Harry Potter Studio Tour…

EHTE, Netherlands
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message