Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Amazing restrictions at Coventry EGBE

Let me be clear this is not Coventry’s fault (this time) but they seem to have rolled over in the face of the Commonwealth Games steamroller which will effectively close the airport for more than a week at the end of July into early August.

See Briefing Sheet

Coventry are saying that flights will be possible with 48 hrs notice (!) but it not clear if this notice has to be time, ie slot, specific.

I once fell under the spell of a Potus visit to Santa Monica where I’d parked, but the restrictions were nowhere near as Draconian as this.

Last Edited by Aveling at 05 Jul 10:40
EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

I’m planning Coventry a week before – lucky me

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

I’m planning Coventry a week before – lucky me

Make sure it’s not a Sunday or Monday!

Aveling wrote:

Actually I planned Sunday or Monday and then I saw the working hours restrictions. I’m kind of flexible but if the weather won’t be ok, I’ll fly to EGBB.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

There’s always lovely Wellesbourne EGBW just down the road. If you let me know I’ll be happy to come and meet you at either place.

Both Coventry and Wellesbourne are “due to close” so every day is on borrowed time, AFAIK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sadly it reminds me of this, it’s 10 years from now, morning or afternoon?

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Jul 06:11
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Both Coventry and Wellesbourne are “due to close”

In my view the behind the scenes stitch up between developers and our elected representatives (councillors) releases half of Wellesbourne’s land for houses by moving the runway in return for getting 100% of Coventry’s land which they own anyway – Rigby is only a tenant. There’s just sooo much money involved. All they need is a new and equally compelling ‘special circumstance’ to give themselves planning permission in the green belt at Coventry since the battery factory has, er, shorted out.

They must be over the moon that world renowned W Midlands Police are closing the place down for 10 days at the height of the summer, driving away even more users from an airport where pilots are already being squeezed out by ludicrous restrictions. “Look – there’s no case for retaining it – nobody flies there anyway”

Aveling wrote:

the battery factory has, er, shorted out.

I thought that is still to be built?
Has it been cancelled?

EGTR

It has planning permission, i.e. it is allowed to be built there.

However absolutely no-one has expressed an interest in building it, paying for it, or using it.

@Aveling I’m not up with the latest at Wellesbourne, I thought Stratford DC were totally preventing any development and last I heard were considering compulsory purchase? Has some fudge been done to allow them to build some houses so long as the retain the active airfield in some form?

EGLM & EGTN
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message