Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR route from LIMJ (GENOVA) to LFMV (AVIGNON)

I am planning a trip to Avignon from Genova and would appreciate your suggestions on the best/easiest route to follow in VFR

LIAP / LIBP, Italy

Coastline all the way to Aix, then up to Avignon.

In the Nice TMA, you have the choice between the low level sea-route (actually designed for helis, but can be flown by fixed wing too), and the inland transit route (see VAC). The latter is more weather-dependant, as clouds tend to form there during the day and it is also often very bumpy.

Of course, you could also cross the Alps if that suits you: fly to Cuneo, then Col de Larche, Barcelonette, Gap, Avignon. Or Even Pinerolo, Col de Montgenèvre, Briancon, Gap, Avignon. Definitely not the „easiest“ though.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 25 Jun 09:41
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

the low level sea-route

The low level sea route is seriously scary. I did it once and would not do it again. You MAY be able to get 1000 feet instead of 500 if you ask Nice Info or Tower nicely.

Once you’re past the Nice TMA you can also pass inland (ask Cannes for a transition) and thread the gap between the various military zones. Easy if you have SDVFR or similar, tricky to eyeball.

LFMD, France

I flew that Nice low level route here. Nice ATC forces you down to around 500ft-1000ft. It is very scenic but if your engine goes you will just splash very quickly

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would advise to climb between GEN and ABN, then continue between 7500 and 10000 over the north of NICE TMA. Aim for the removed NIZ Vor (5 NM north of the sea line near LFMN), north of LFMN and LFMD CTR and continue south of LFR138 mil, still over 7500 to avoid LUC mil zone (LFR54). Once arrived near Lac de Sainte Croix, you can go direct Avignon over Vinon airfield (LFNF).
It would look like something like LIMJ ABN KOLON SOKDI 4333N00628E AMFOU LFMV. KOLON is a bit north, but there is not lower point.
It’s important that:
-keep over 7500 to stay clear of CTR and lower APP on this path.
-Don’t go north of LFMF at these altitudes, you have lof of gliders. Pay attention around LFMF anyway…
- the point in coordinates is called DG here (described inside the VAC chart of LFMC), it’s a small white tower north of Draguignan city. Don’t go north of it, you have R138 mil aera where they use to shoor missiles and artillery – a lot of them currently. The south of R138 is delimited by a fire corridor (a line that is clear of trees to avoid Fire to spread south of it). It;‘s very visible, so stay SOUTH of it, and you won’t be annoyed.
I would add that Nice Info is very arranging (120.850) and everything can be negociated on the radio (the rule in France), except crossing the R138.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 27 Jun 09:02
LFMD, France

Thank you very much for this detailed description. I just need to plug it in my GPS !
With all the contributions above, I was thinking almost the same route but thought of following the points NA, EW and DG.
Many thanks to everybody. This forum is way better than autorouter :-)

LIAP / LIBP, Italy

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I had a smooth flight with cooperative ATC on both sides of the border. I followed the route LIMJ ABN then I was cleared direct DG by Nice, and direct LFMV. The controller at LFMV was also very helpful and friendly. The mistral was gusting 40knts upon arrival which was the only stressful moment of the entire flight.

LIAP / LIBP, Italy

aquila wrote:

The mistral was gusting 40knts upon arrival which was the only stressful moment of the entire flight.

LOL, well, yea, the Mistral can be quite a handful.

Many years ago I flew from Avignon to Geneva in a moderate Mistral. Take off there was interesting, almost a vertical lift over the runway. At altitude, we watched the far away Mt. Blanc for hours on end without it appearing to come any closer. The ground speed we had was about 50 kts up the Rhone Valley. We managed to get into Geneva 10 minutes before closing time.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

aquila wrote:

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I had a smooth flight with cooperative ATC on both sides of the border. I followed the route LIMJ ABN then I was cleared direct DG by Nice, and direct LFMV. The controller at LFMV was also very helpful and friendly. The mistral was gusting 40knts upon arrival which was the only stressful moment of the entire flight.

Nice! Good to see that an advice can materialize in some way. Did you fly yesterday (the 7th)? I had a big local around Le Luc, and if there were only 20 knot over 200ft, we flew far from the high wind zone. But it was a clear convective sky with huge up and down draft under the Cumulus clouds… Even the GFC500 (on an archer III) didn’t manage to keep altitude with alteration of 1000ft… We sometimes had such dive attitude with closed thottle and speed over 130kn in order to keep it… A glider’s day in this region.
The mistral between Avignon and Valence is where it is the strongest, and the arrival south of Avignon in the Alpilles area can be really shaky. A vomiting experience for sensitive paxes :P.

Beside that, ATC in the south east are really cooperative and helping most of the time. The current season is hard for them as traffic is peaking, and unfortunately they have to comply with limitation from DGAC or go in strike (the french way of protesting – when employer want to show he’s managing the thing without really understanding the problems). They are currently in a post-covid recovery and they are also responsible of traffic limitation over the whole France south east area, with lot of delay in all flight going in and out.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 08 Jul 07:10
LFMD, France
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message