Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Channel Islands, Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, EGJJ EGJB EGJA, have no PN for mainland Europe visitors - what are you all waiting for?

Peter wrote:

So why so few pilots from the mainland fly there?

Only UK pilots get screwed over by the 12hr PN both ways

Where is the mainland

EGLK, United Kingdom

South and south-east of the UK (as I am sure you knew perfectly well)

I use the term because while “Europe” is a common expression for it in the UK, people then spot an opportunity to divert the discussion towards brexit and “UK left Europe” when obviously it did not; it merely left the rule of Brussels, while remaining in Europe on every normal metric. And, no discussion of brexit here, please (posts will be deleted).

Another expression used in the UK is “the continent” but that is not quite right either because what is normally referred to as “political Europe” is not the same land area as the “continent of Europe”. You can find lots of stuff on “geology” on google

I should have also added Ireland explicitly because that isn’t “mainland” and is west of the UK

Re fly-ins, yes, definitely. I would say Guernsey and Alderney are both good. Alderney has less accommodation for an overnight stay. For a day trip, these two are best because both have an easy walk (no taxi needed) to “somewhere nice”. Could not do a group of 50 (would never happen anyway) but 5-10 is no problem.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

South and south-east of the UK (as I am sure you knew perfectly well)

Actually, I misunderstood it to mean the main British isle. Of course, with context it is clear what you meant.

I use the term because while “Europe” is a common expression for it in the UK, people then spot an opportunity to divert the discussion towards brexit and “UK left Europe” when obviously it did not; it merely left the rule of Brussels, while remaining in Europe on every normal metric. And, no discussion of brexit here, please (posts will be deleted).

Not only in the UK. Up here in Thule, lots of people refer to continental Europe as “Europe”, which always annoys me.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I changed the thread title to say “mainland Europe”

Administrator

Fenland_Flyer wrote:

Been going to CI for decades, a great jewel in the British Isles. Take a southbound from Southampton and you will be there in just a few minutes! Just remember when leaving to ask ATC for a MUCH HIGHER transit altitude than you have been assigned.

Ain’t that the truth. You sometimes have to be fairly firm with them about that fact that you aren’t going to accept a sea crossing “not above altitude 2,000ft”.

EGLM & EGTN

IME, and including my flight to EGJA 2 days ago, tower clears you in the departure clearance to 2000ft and then you get handed to Jersey Zone who immediately authorise a climb to your filed level (5000ft in my case, which makes the whole flight a dead simple OCAS job, flyable at one level on autopilot and with no chance of getting busted); I am sure you could ask Jersey for any level below what their “commercial” traffic is at, which near the islands is around 7000ft.

Administrator

Beware, Alderney has Jet fuel but will refuse to sell it to you, because their storage facility is not compliant with certification rules. They told me “hop over to Guernsey, you surely have enough fuel for that, and fuel there”.

ELLX

That’s outrageous. Let me ask why this is.

Administrator

As I wrote, I was told their fuel tank was not compliant with the rules, and thus they would not take the potential liability to sell me potentially bad fuel.

ELLX

Looking for destination inspiration and certainly willing to try the CIs next weekend. But although no PN is needed, I still

1. Need to file a GAR 12h in advance? Or can I do paperwork on arrival?
2. Need to have exit customs so can’t leave from EBGB for example? Not sure of this requirement either, the legal situation of the CIs is not obvious to me (they are in the customs union but not Schengen?) and the finding the information is not always easy or straightforward. I guess that answers the question in the title to some degree.

But if I’m mistaken then I’ll gladly undertake an adventure to any of the CIs and write a report about it! In that case any particular of the three recommended for a novice pilot who likes scenic views and a good challenge but not an insurmountable one ;-)

EBGB EBKT, Belgium
Sign in to add your message