Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Renewed attempt to visit Sweden

Jaapfly wrote:

And another thing, is there 4G everywhere? When I watch Scandinavian crime series in TV, they very often have no signal…..but is that reality? Being used to 4G always and everywhere, it’s hard to imagine you can’t use your phone….but better be prepared if that’s the case.

If you have a non-Swedish SIM card – meaning you can roam with every Swedish operator – then you can expect to have a connection essentially everywhere on the ground. In the countryside there can be isolated patches with no connection, but they’re small. In the air it is another thing entirely. You can’t expect to get a connection unless you fly pretty low and near cities.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Thanks for all the great suggestions – now making multiple amendments to the original plan!

From other (older) threads it seems the AirBP card is a good idea for touring Scandinavia. Is this still correct or will many small/medium sized airfields now have self-service credit card pumps for AVGAS/Mogas?

ps: Thanks to @Jaapfly for starting this thread

Baxterley (nr EGBB) -Husbands Bosworth, United Kingdom

Based on my experience of a couple of weeks ago the BP card is a useful (free) investment. It’s also quick – swipe, answer one question about type of fuel, and go. I’ve not seen many self-service credit card pumps – at many places it’s by arrangement with locals, which is why you need to carry cash.

Last Edited by Aveling at 30 May 15:38
EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

GrahamG wrote:

From other (older) threads it seems the AirBP card is a good idea for touring Scandinavia. Is this still correct or will many small/medium sized airfields now have self-service credit card pumps for AVGAS/Mogas?

Yes. Air BP is available at 23 airports in Sweden and 40 in Norway – but only a handful in Denmark and Finland. Some have only AVGAS UL91, though. I’d say it is unusual for small sized airfields to have self-service pumps. (In Sweden, at least – I can’t recall any right now.)

GrahamG wrote:

EDXW/Sylt

I would avoid Sylt, too expensive for their service. You’ve been to Heide-Busum already, take St Peter-Ording this time.
boscomantico wrote:

in the southern third of Sweden

Very good selection from Bosco.
Jaapfly wrote:

When I watch Scandinavian crime series in TV, they very often have no signal

Life in Sweden is not as dramatic as criminal series on TV make it up to be. Quite the opposite.
Jaapfly wrote:

Is there any FIS, and do the airfields have manned towers, or air-to-air

If you fly with SkyDemon, all the frequencies are in there.
Airborne_Again wrote:

I’d say it is unusual for small sized airfields to have self-service pumps. (In Sweden, at least – I can’t recall any right now.)

Eslöv has self-service H24 with normal credit card (JET A1, 100 LL and 91/96 UL).

ESMK, Sweden

ESSW also has self service fueling.

ESSZ, Sweden

Immigration controls: Do any of the Swedish GA airfields mentioned here have immigration controls? The relevance of this is (i) I read Sweden has suspended Schengen freedoms for some months in 2022, and (ii) I am coming form non-Schengen Ireland.

If the answer is NO, then can anyone suggest somewhere in southern Sweden that does provide immigration? Bromma is to be avoided if possible due to the costs.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

You can use ESMS, ESTA, ESMT or ESMK for Schengen entry according to a list at the border police site. I did not find it in English on my phone though.
But maybe you can check for yourself on this link:
https://polisen.se/en/laws-and-regulations/travel-to-and-stay-in-sweden/border-control/

If you want to refuel at the border stop I would stay away avoid ESMS depending on what fuel you need. At least I have heard that ESMS has a “hook-up fee” to start refueling which is around 50 euros, maybe someone has more recent info?

ESSZ, Sweden

Fly310 wrote:

If you want to refuel at the border stop I would stay away avoid ESMS depending on what fuel you need. At least I have heard that ESMS has a “hook-up fee” to start refueling which is around 50 euros, maybe someone has more recent info?

There are now two “private” fueling stations at ESMS operated by flying clubs and flight schools, precisely to avoid the hook-up fee. You can get fuel through them, but it must be arranged in advance as they don’t have regular staffing. The AIP entry for ESMS has contact details. See also my recent EuroGA Airports Database entry on ESMS.

Good!

ESSZ, Sweden
Sign in to add your message