Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New airfield proposal in Gozo (Malta)

News article: https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/gozo-airfield-plans-revealed-a-450m-runway-in-xewkija.953062

Landing in Malta is quite expensive for non locally based aircraft as I think they have mandatory handling. However if this airfield goes ahead i would imagine it would be quite a bit cheaper than using the main airport. Gozo is probably better to stay than Malta (for a short holiday) and it’s only a quick ferry to cross anyway.

Let’s hope it goes ahead!

I’m curious… Would anyone be put off landing since it’s only 450m?

450 m length is ridiculous. That limits usage to very small aircraft, and generally not the kind of aircraft that pilots will comfortable flying over open water to larger land masses such as Sicily etc.

Also, such aircraft will be very vulnerable to wind, so hangarage would be really useful, but the mockup shows virtually none.

Would be great to have a GA airport on Gozo, but not this one.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

A bit like Tresco.

Knowing a bit about property in Malta, it is likely the only way to make an airfield happen there. Land plots are very small and often owned by people scattered all over the world, who couldn‘t be bothered. So, a brandnew airport will be almost imposible (but also because they won‘t sacrifice any agricultural land, as mentioned in the article).

Extending the perimeter of the current „helipad“ will be the same problem. So they do what they can do, which is this.

Agree, it doesn‘t work for GA. All it will attract is a few ultralight pilots. But that won‘t be the plan anyway. The plan will be some limited airline service using Islanders or so. Remember they tried to set up seaplane service between Malta and Gozo for years, before they found out it doesn‘t work. This might make it feasible. Just wonder they come up with this idea only now. They might even do a service to Sicily, although that is unlikely.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 May 10:22
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

450m could be feasible for the likes of Twin Otters & Microlights in the right conditions, I hope they are not aiming for VTOL air taxis with over water ditchings?

It does not sound like a good alternative to Luqa for touring GA SEP, so one has to deal with Slots, PPR, handling…the other guess is they are probably kicking Microlights operations out of the commercial airport?

PS: I had a go on one of the flexwings in LMML long 4km runway with a local school (it was G-reg with UK CAA NPPL/M instructor, not sure if they can keep that going now?), 450m is not even enough for Microlights in the summer? we used 600m in Luqa with 2pob on hot day and nil wind !

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 May 10:54
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

450m is fine (Wangen-Lachen LSPV?) if the runway is wide, good quality and the surrounding area is appropriate i.e. no close-in obstacles.

450m grass would be useless for most types flying that far.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I really think they have no other options for Gozo with regards to the lenght. There are very few flat places large enough. However runway will be at sea level and it’s generally windy enough.

It will also be an uphill battle to convince the public that an airfield is needed (just look at the comments on the article I posted).

I do worry that they will push GA out of the main airport though.

geekyflyer wrote:

Would anyone be put off landing since it’s only 450m?

Surely not, quite the opposite as a matter of fact. No UL or microL here, but 450m is a nice long runway for me
You wanna fly IFR on AP => Luqa is fine for you and your wallet (paid 140€ last time I went there, about 7 years ago…).
You enjoy grass root flying => Gozo would be fantastic

Looking forward to my next visit there!

Last Edited by Dan at 07 May 15:21
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Wangen-Lachen LSPV?

I see it’s 2500m in water…just joking the runway is 500m

In Switzerland, lot of people operate touring machines Arrows, Mooneys, Bonanza out of 500m
Maybe ok in home-base with flexible schedule and nice weather?

Likely the majority had 1000h on type in 2km pavements before they went to retire to 500m?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Buckerfan wrote:

450 m length is ridiculous. That limits usage to very small aircraft, and generally not the kind of aircraft that pilots will comfortable flying over open water to larger land masses such as Sicily etc.

It’s tight but there are plenty of examples where 450m runways or alike work well. The most prominent I know about are Helgoland, Jesenwang and Wangen Lachen. For most light GA such as the usual suspects such as most SEP’s and even some SET’s, 450m concrete at sea level is ok.

What bothers me more is this little snipplet of information in the article:

While this is a regional airport and will not be equipped to handle international flights

This is the real deal breaker unless they get some sort of agreement for light GA at least from the Schengen area and the EU to be able to operate there without the need of an airport of entry or to make at least some provisions for AoE possibilities.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

It’s tight but there are plenty of examples where 450m runways or alike work well.

All you guys saying 450m is fine – have you considered 30 plus degrees and no wind!! It gets bloody hot in Malta in summer.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message