Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ireland to Pula - Stopover Recommendations

I’m planning summer holidays and the idea is to bring the family to Pula in Croatia in the M20J where we’ll stay for a week or so. The kids are 8 & 10 so I’m pretty limited to around 2.5 hour legs, say 400 nm for argument’s sake. This probably means 3 flights in either direction in total. I was thinking of Le Touquet for a lunch stop and then Colmar as an overnight. Does this seem like a good way to do it? I had also considered Augsburg as the overnight stop but I think it’s a bit expensive.
I was then going to come back via south east France for some variety and to minimise the use of O2 for the kids. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a stop in this area that can accept non-Schengen traffic and is convenient to a hotel etc? I guess the last leg to home will be via one of the usual suspects in the north west which I’m pretty familiar with. I only have a BP card at the moment, so Total self service places might have to be ruled out.

EIMH, Ireland

On the way down you could stop in Mannheim (EDFM), so we could have a drink in the evening and talk Mooney There is a hotel in walking distance. Otherwise Augsburg is not expensive but Colmar is nicer but at both places town is a bit away from the field.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Parking at airports on the seaside in the middle of summer is becoming ever more problematic. Even Pula (which has a lot of space, just not so much assigned for small GA) has PPR for parking in the height of the season. They will very likely not confirm („book“) your parking this early… so you can‘t really plan with certainty. Just as a heads up.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

End of this summer (mid-September) I landed to Pula in the morning without PPR because I planned to stay just few hours wrongly assuming that this wouldn’t be a problem. They practically refused parking stating that apron would be full in the afternoon, so I left to Lošinj. The problem in Pula is not the size of the apron but the assignment to GA (as @boscomantico wrote above) and parking spots sizing – DA40 or C172 occupy the same space as Citation or PC12 because parking is possible only on marked spots.

@zuutroy you should contact the airport and check how much in advance you can submit PPR and then start to plan from that point onwards. For small GA it’s too many balls in the air to juggle, having in mind booking, weather, pandemic – PPR doesn’t help at all.

The other option is to have vacation on Losinj – fly to LDLO when the weather is good, book accommodation last minute, have a great time and maybe fly on a day trip to Pula when they have parking spot available. Personally, I would always choose Losinj for vacation over Pula. City of Pula is nice for a day of sightseeing; beaches, hotels, apartments and sea on Losinj are superb compared to what Pula can offer.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

zuutroy wrote:

I was thinking of Le Touquet for a lunch stop and then Colmar as an overnight

Sounds brilliant.

ESMK, Sweden

zuutroy wrote:

I was thinking of Le Touquet for a lunch stop and then Colmar as an overnight

I have not flown to Colmar yet but if flying with family that combination with L2K will not disappoint, add Cannes in south-east of France you have a jackpot !

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Jan 18:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Last summer I flew my family to Portoroz instead of Pula and just took the App2Drive rental car into Croatia. Very easy, no PPR, recommendable.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

I just spent two nights in Pula.

Nex time I go I intend to spend the night in Rovinj. Beautiful little seaside port town. I would base myself there and drive the family into Pula for the afternoon to see the Roman amphitheatre etc. If you cant get long term parking at Pula, you could clear customs there and fly a few minutes north to Vrsar Airport – LDPV.

Not sure about the distances, but Troyes in France is a great place for overnight stop. There is a hotel right in the centre of the medieval city, Relais St Jean I think, which belongs to a pilot.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Just south of Pula , 3 or 4 nm, there is Medulin airfield .
You can land in Pula for custom and then pak the plane in Medulin .
But it’s grass

Pegaso airstrip, Italy

Thanks everyone for the tips. Lots of stuff I didn’t consider. I’ll be back with the trip report later in the year I hope!

EIMH, Ireland
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message