Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aosta LIMW fly-in mid January 2022, and ski to Cervinia

According to current forecast, too good to be true from Jan 11 to 15 it’s practically perfect. We should slowly start to define the dates and intentions more precise. The best tool for this is our Telegram group.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

A decision will need to be made, fairly late, according to how many are definitely arriving at Aosta for a meet-up.

If nobody is arriving, those who want to go on to Cervinia will not want to pay for a hotel in Aosta for 1 night They can just get a taxi to Cervinia straight from the airport.

So it will be important for those participating to monitor the telegram group around that time and keep everyone informed, because myself and others will have to make a fast decision after we landed at Aosta, based on who is where etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Some of us will fly to Aosta on Friday 14th.

Anyone going to Aosta for the meet-up (whether going on to Cervinia afterwards or not) which is planned for the 15th needs to state on the morning of the 14th that they are planning to go, otherwise the meet-up is unlikely to be successful because everybody will conclude nobody else is going

Currently, according to a poll in the telegram group, we have 8 going to Aosta and 5 going to Cervinia.

Administrator

I am in Cervinia now, for maybe 5 days, so if anyone is interested in meeting up, I am generally about. Skiing mornings only, mostly

Could not make a meet-up in Aosta on Saturday evening as well as everything else.

Great flying wx today. Some pics here:

Looked a bit dodgy from home

“Fly to ski” load The TKS kit was bought a few years ago (a previous thread) but I never had a need to fill it, but this morning there was absolutely no way to get the ice off, without scratching the paint

Taxiing with just a “window”

Good enough vis along the runway, especially with the FP delayed by 30 mins due to the ice

Fog banks all over the place

A ship in the fog – looks spooky

Over France now. Doing an IFR departure wasn’t such a good idea. Had I departed VFR and flew at 5000ft to BILGO I would have got the red shortcut

Justine’s in-flight catering

Standard TB20 FL100-110 cruise: 150kt TAS, full throttle, 2400rpm, 10.6 USG/hr

Approaching the Alps

Lausanne

Passing close to Mt Blanc, due to Geneva vectoring me around

This one I recognise from somewhere but not sure of the name

Somebody, in what sounded like a motorglider, was trying to cross the Italian border without a flight plan and was told very firmly by Milano ATC they absolutely cannot do that…

20 mile final for LIMW, descending -2000fpm from FL160, gear down, flap 1, 130kt IAS, in many orbits

Short final

Getting fuel

LIMW is one of the friendliest airports I have ever been to. A real jewel. It is also probably the closest Italian airport to the UK, with just 3hrs airborne time if flown relatively straight.

You just have to do this when in Italy

240 litres burnt – just 4 litres off the Shadin fuel totaliser value.

Customs turned up with a dog which climbed inside and sniffed everything, then sniffed me, and came away happy

Administrator

Great first impressions @Peter, thanks! 240 liters on a 3 hour flight? That’s quite some fuel!

Peter wrote:

Somebody, in what sounded like a motorglider, was trying to cross the Italian border without a flight plan and was told very firmly by Milano ATC they absolutely cannot do that…
Personally, I need to confess that I crossed the French and Italian border once without a flight plan. I was on a national Swiss flight, but did some sightseeing around the Mont Blanc and flew straight from that mountain towards the Matterhorn, which let me into Italian airspace. As I was in contact with Geneva all the time, they never said anything about it and also didn’t send me over to Milano. Another time, I did file a flight plan for just circling around the Matterhorn. Local pilots told me however, that it is tolerated to do so without it.

Peter wrote:
Customs turned up with a dog which climbed inside and sniffed everything, then sniffed me, and came away happy
Oh dear… that stuff is funny to read, but not funny if it happens to yourself. And it fits the picture quite well, of how I was treaded two times in Aosta by Italian customs. They are “over the top” strict and precise and they bring you even a dog in your plane… It shouldn’t get more crazy! Did they check vaccination and antigentest as well?

Enjoy skiing in Cervinia! Are you skiing from Cervinia to Zermatt as well?
Last Edited by Frans at 14 Jan 00:10
Switzerland

Lovely pictures, enjoy !

Passing close to Mt Blanc, due to Geneva vectoring me around

In VMC, you notice there is not much margins in while on Radar Vectors

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Jan 00:22
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I can see that my descent was much easier – STAR from SRN to IBCUC, descending slowly from FL160 to FL100, canceling IFR there, continuing briefly with Milano information at 10.000 feet on local QNH, switching to Aosta when turning north into the valley and then slowly descend along the valley to 7.000 ft before turning left abeam SVC for RW27 and final descent.

Flight time from Croatia (LDVA – close to Zagreb) to Aosta was 2:20, FL160 mostly, strong tailwind, straight line mostly, brief vectoring close to Venice due to military traffic (at the end I saw them – same altitude 1 mile from me – still too far to take pictures and recognize the type of fighters), 120 liters of Jet A1 burned.

BTW I checked IGS (NOTAM-ed as non functional) – LOC and DME worked but no GS.

Immigration just checked IDs, quick refueling and covering the aircraft – and we spent less than 30 min from landing until getting the taxi.

We had lunch in Aosta, did some sightseeing and later in the afternoon took the taxi for Cervinia.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Did they check vaccination and antigentest as well?

Yes; always checked for me. Brits always get the full treatment now But different people, not the dog crew.

All really friendly though. I have no issue with this.

240 liters on a 3 hour flight? That’s quite some fuel!

About 3:45, and two climbs. Enroute burn is 10.7 USG/hr at FL110 and about 9 at FL160. Landed with just under half a tank.

Sorry – bad memory! The fuel receipt says 180 litres Got me worried there…

Are you skiing from Cervinia to Zermatt as well?

Probably not. I’ve been to Zermatt (one just has to do it ) and would not go back for the skiing. Shopping and “girlfriend activities”, yes

In VMC, you notice there is not much margins in while on Radar Vectors

???

FL160 (about 16700ft) is well above all terrain where one gets vectored.

Administrator

did a couple of loops/rolls over you guys today (around 2pm), but couldn’t spot anyone… probably already all at the bar
Picture taken about 2nm W of Gran Paradisio looking at the Great White

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

This is from ground level

I have no idea how many are coming but more than one pilot made it so this is now officially the first EuroGA fly to ski event

Administrator
Sign in to add your message