Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A little trip Shoreham EGKA to Newquay EGHQ Nov 2021

This was a sort of mini EuroGA fly-in. It was going to be maybe four aircraft but only two made it – myself and Lionel. Some nice pics of the sunset on the way back

Probable ILS wx, but that’s good

Metar
EGHQ 060920Z 25013KT 9999 SCT014 11/09 Q1029
TAF
EGHQ 060756Z 0609/0618 22010KT 9999 SCT018
BECMG 0609/0612 28015KT
PROB30
TEMPO 0609/0610 6000 -RADZ BKN010
TEMPO 0612/0618 29018G28KT
BECMG 0616/0618 6000 -RADZ BKN009

Final 30

GA parking

Lionel’s speed machine; he got there at the same time despite starting much further east, and mostly at FL240 against a huge headwind

Excellent food at Catch Seafood, in a village long the coast from Newquay itself

Departing back; Newquay in the distance

Done almost all between layers

These alone make flying worth every penny

Refuelling…

£35 total for landing and parking. Very reasonable.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Excellent. I had to work today. Would have loved a closer look a lionel’s toy.

United Kingdom

Nice!
Beautiful views! I miss those since closing time at our local airfield became restrictive a decade ago.

@lionel what’s your tankage on your Silver Eagle? Nice bird!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

On the way back, Solent did the transit clearance with just tens of seconds to spare. Really atrocious, given that Bournemouth told them about it some 30nm ahead.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Antonio wrote:

@lionel what’s your tankage on your Silver Eagle? Nice bird!

147 usg, for when there is only one (me-sized) person aboard. Remove fuel for each extra person.

Last Edited by lionel at 07 Nov 11:13
ELLX

I see. Yup, the 8lbs/gal of jet fuel means you are carrying, depending on temp, around 1200lbs worth of fuel…but you can probably do over 1000nm with that much fuel?

What about the impressive five-blader? Have you always had it or was that an upgrade from three blades?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

@Peter, I notice two different display technologies amongst the five King GD displays in your avionics: the upper NAVCOM and autopilot seem to sequence segments in a way your camera shows them as partial. Not so the other three…

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

the 8lbs/gal of jet fuel

It is 0.8 kg/l, that is about 6.67 lb/usgallon, so I carry about 980 lb of fuel. Depending on temperature difference to ISA, I can fly (“to zero range”, having removed about 10 usg for the climb) about 6.5 hours to 7 hours at 200 knots to 195 knots, that is about 1300 nm. Realistically, my record is ELLX to LBSF (825 nmi great circle; 910 nmi planned route), with reserves and alternate.

ELLX

lionel wrote:

It is 0.8 kg/l, that is about 6.67 lb/usgallon

Oops! Yes of course! I must have got my eights confused.
Impressive range with all that fuel. 1000nm is a bit tight but definitely 900NM is doable, as you experienced. Any performance delta with the five blader?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

Any performance delta with the five blader?

No, but it increases prop ground clearance and subjectively feels even less vibrations, and a more “jet-like” noise.

ELLX
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message