Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Day trip Mallorca to the French Pyrenees

Peter wrote:

That’s a great pic.

But… where are the localiser antennae?

They will never get CAT3 because a RADALT would never be any good

I’ll answer on the thread on the La Seu fly-in...

Last Edited by Antonio at 13 Oct 11:23
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Ibra wrote:

This article claims the main L39 was flown there??!!

Interesting. What is Vref on a lightly loaded L-39?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

What is Vref on a lightly loaded L-39?

120 knots, dirty stall at 90.

T28
Switzerland

T28 wrote:

120 knots, dirty stall at 90.

Ouch! That is almost twice as much energy per mass than our 210…I am not sure how that can be handled at LFIP’s 340m

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Wikipedia lists 600m ground roll (at sea level of course), 340m with slope at 5kft is theoretically possible
Only film stunt pilots with deep pockets and enough insurance would go for it

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Oct 14:00
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Wikipedia lists 600m ground roll (at sea level of course), 340m with slope at 5kft is theoretically possible

Maybe apply some of this stuff used at drag strips for better grip or some other material which actually slows the plane down.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Yes they must have used some trick. The problem is judging the flare for touchdown in the first 50m of runway at those high speeds. If touchdown is 100m past that point then you only have 150m uphill to stop. Let’s see..50m at 110KTAS is..0.9 secs… c’est ne pas facile

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

LFIP it is 4% upslope changing to 15%

A great post Antonio! In fact if you are really good at aiming it is not an altiport landing after all. Simply do a normal landing in the 4% section and I assume seriously heavy planes will get in just fine. But not much room for error… Or somebody has to convince them to also pave the remaining 75m.

I also had a look at the latest picture and it seems contrary to Courchevel where the runway ends more or less in a wall here you have a least another 20m of tarmac on this little road.

I only know Courchevel but overall probably both runways can handle the same planes. LFLJ is a big longer but LFIP is more forgiving at the threshold making the usable runway section longer, there is minimal additional overrun at the end and altitude is also a little lower.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Antonio wrote:

Failing that, to the best of my knowledge the largest aircraft at LFIP have been Cessna 210’s

Well, I did find this one, and it surely beats a 210 weight- and size-wise!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

Well, I did find this one, and it surely beats a 210 weight- and size-wise!

That one does not count ;-) It can land so short it should be counted as a helicopter. It probably does not even need the altiport, it could simply use the ski slopes next to it.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
Sign in to add your message