Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly-in to La Cerdanya / Andorra LECD/LESU 16 October 2021

Yes but beware LECD elevation is 1000ft higher than LESU, on the same valley, surrounded by 10000ft mountains.

If cloud ceiling is below mountain tops, the natural entrance to the valley is via S1 and S of LESU, then LESU then East to LECD

Antonio
LESB, Spain

If cloud ceiling is below mountain tops,

For me that’s instrument approach to LESU or some other alternate airport

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

So just to try and lure some more people to the participants.

Looks like we’ll do LESU, not LECD. Close to Andorra, convenient in terms of accomodation, rental cars (if desired) and the experience of landing like on an aircraft carrier, however without the need for a rapid deceleration. Weekend of 16-17 October.

Give it one more thought, and join the telegram group!

https://t.me/joinchat/6OZu5Kc6IVk4ZTJk

Oh and @silvaire, now that you’ve experienced that COVID travel is not that difficult in the old world, we expect you to come over again and show us one of your motorbikes

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Emir wrote:

or me that’s instrument approach to LESU or some other alternate airport

The RNP approach to LESU leaves you 2000ft above airfield elevation. In good visibility you can enter the valley VFR from the South with 1500ft ceiling. If such is the case, an ILS to LEDA (IAF’s are 35nm apart) will leave you 55 nm from LESU. LEDA has little traffic and are usually very accommodating.

If coming in VFR with a cloud ceiling, be aware that the gateway to the valley at Organya , with S1 being 4nm North further upriver, is rather narrow and surrounded by 5000ft peaks (for context LESU field elevation is 2630ft so you could enter the valley with 1500ft ceiling but you have to go through the narrow gap at Organya). Once past the gap into S1 the valley widens to the point where there is ample space for visual circuits East of LESU (the marker in this google Earth pic is at LESU)

Last time I went to LESU, years ago, I ended up diverting due to low visibility in the valley below the cloud ceiling, but unlike me (no AFIS back then), now you will know in advance because of METAR and AFIS.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

@Peter this thread needs a title change to include LESU vs LECU

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Done. LECU is nowhere near…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The final destination is LESU. Any of you who are interested to come, please join the Telegram group. We have 5 firm and quite a few considering to come!

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

@aart my usual lame excuse but on the roster that weekend

The Worrier would manage LESU with one stop which was quite encouraging.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I am looking forward to this meet-up.

The Spanish ones, which we normally do around October because Spain is the last place in Europe with good wx (and “impossible” in the summer, with +45C sometimes) are always great.

We have 5-7 people coming who I think are very likely to turn up, unless the wx is really bad.

My plan is to clear customs/immigration and fill up at Beziers, and then I will have enough fuel to fly to Andorra and back all the way to the UK if necessary. But Andorra is reportedly a reliable airport for avgas.

Administrator

We have around 5-8 aircraft that we know are likely to come. That is a nice size group.

Is anyone coming to this fly-in who we don’t know about?

With just over a week to go, the time has now come to compile a list, for the airport, the restaurant, any rental car sharing etc.

If you are actually really actively planning to come, and are not on telegram, please send a PM to Aart with your details (name, aircraft type and reg, date/time of arrival and departure at LESU).

Administrator
Sign in to add your message