Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly-in to La Cerdanya / Andorra LECD/LESU 16 October 2021

Excellent write up’s as usual. A great trip to a great destination.
I could not imagine longer than 3hrs in a light aircraft in one leg. I’m just not bolted- together that way. (I could do it but wouldn’t enjoy it)
That trip sounded like determination and tenacity was the requirements for the day Emir.

Last Edited by GA_Pete at 21 Oct 14:09
United Kingdom

We have done that topic before Flying without a toilet provision is a dangerous proposition.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for the nice write-up Peter, and I hope I was successful in my attempt to impress you of my little sewing machine. But I did use the opportunity to do a pre-flight. Seriously, opening the hood and inspecting the engine is usually done by Rotax drivers. Lots of hoses, springs, other contraptions and liquid levels you want to have a look at, especially before crossing one-hour worth of sea

I guess I was the one who had it easiest, together with Carlos from Madrid. My trip from and to Mallorca was quite uneventful. Perfect weather, no turbulence and Barcelona Appch was quite accommodating to let us fly VFR through their TMA, in spite of barging through their approaches. But here is maybe where my ADS-B paid off. I show up as a 737, so when it was already too late I crept into their zone disguised as a pro. They must have thought though that this 737 was about to enter into a deep stall.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Great write ups from all of you., and what looks like a super fly in.
@aart With the ballistic parachute becoming so prevalent in the Rotax powered aircraft, I wonder why no one has thought to add an airbag system which makes the aircraft float if you have to pull the parachute over water.

France

An interesting thought. The Robinson 44 helicopter can be fitted with such a system, tightly wrapped around the skids and to be inflated before touching the water. It is reasonably streamlined and so it does not add too much drag. For fixed wing aircraft I guess it may be a challenge to find a location that does not disturb the airflow too much if mounted externally? But maybe there would be room inside behind the cabin, although the nose and cabin would then probably dip into the water. Maybe better to not to carry much fuel and so the air in the tanks will keep you afloat for a while, giving you ample time to get into the raft

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

@Emir – I wonder what this fuss with VFR max FL115 is all about. As I see it in the chart it’s airspace Delta up to FL145 where you need a clearance anyway. So I can’t see the problem ATC had here. As for handover to next sector: In Germany the next sector normally knows your intentions from the previous one and coordinates if need be. Same e. g. between France and Belgium or Germany and Denmark when flying VFR in the flight levels. At least that’s my experience so far. But in the end you made it anyway – well done! :-)

EDLE

As for handover to next sector: In Germany the next sector normally knows your intentions from the previous one and coordinates if need be.

The problem was probably flight plan addressing – when operations at LESU changed the plan to VFR they probably addressed it only to departing airport while nobody else was included. On handovers first ATC that new about my intentions were Italians giving me direct from west to east coast and from Albenga onwards was “continue as cleared”.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I wonder what this fuss with VFR max FL115 is all about. As I see it in the chart it’s airspace Delta up to FL145 where you need a clearance anyway. So I can’t see the problem ATC had here. As for handover to next sector: In Germany the next sector normally knows your intentions from the previous one and coordinates if need be

VFR can’t “easily” fly above FL115 in some places in France, there is a clear distinction between General Delta ATC managed by CTL ATC and Delta bellow managed by FIR ATC/FIS

In theory, (Bordeaux FIR & Marseille FIR) can hand you over for higher but you may have to say you want to switch for “IFR higher”, worst case switch or call yourself (Bordeaux CTL & Marseille CTL), see ENR6.1 for CTL frequencies, FIR frequencies are in VFR charts

CTL units may not give ATC/FIS to VFR and may not get V-FPL, they also kick IFR bellow FL120 to talk to FIR ATC/FIS…

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Oct 20:57
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

while nobody else was included

So crossing load of international borders with no FPL, that is naughty

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Oct 20:59
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

VFR can’t “easily” fly above FL115

They told Peter “FL130 is too high, max FL125”, then FL140 is “OK”. Oh well…

Last Edited by europaxs at 22 Oct 05:08
EDLE
Sign in to add your message