Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip from LOAN to LIPV - Advice?

10 Posts

Hello Community !

I am a relatively low PPL VFR pilot (70h) and lately I got the desire to go abroad and really travel. I have the plan to travel from Wiener Neustadt ( home of Diamonds) to LIPV Venice. The trip would be done in a DA40 with passengers and VFR only.
I m fishing here for advices on the best route, the crossing of D airspaces, weather etc :) Considering my low experience I take any advice !
So far my idea is to allow 3 × 3 days block in my schedule for the trip and if the first block isnt good weather wise, then wait for the next one and so forth.
Route wise, would you suggest to go through Slovenia (and via Klagenfurt) or Italy only ?

Thank in advance for the helpful comments !

Austria

Great idea and a very nice experience!

LOAN 47,841/16,287 GOLVA 46,465/15,627 46,228/15,283 46,066/15,162 45,91/15,009 45,874/14,65 45,871/14,254 45,753/14,048 45,779/13,601 45,684/13,378 45,659/13,112 45,593/12,893 45,495/12,637 45,409/12,375 45,418/12,364 LIPV

LOAN to Golva then from LJMB join „VFR route 1“ (<7500ft) and then fly <1500ft (below LIPZ Class D) along the coast to Lido.

LOWG Radar 119,3
LJMB Approach 119,2
LIPQ Approach during descent to the coast.

PM and I can talk you through it on the phone.

always learning
LO__, Austria

“Glide 230 KIAS, 15:1” on the map sounds quite good

EDLE

europaxs wrote:

“Glide 230 KIAS, 15:1” on the map sounds quite good

It’s actually 20.8, but I prefer some safety margin ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy’s route seems about perfect, but from my limited experience in Slovenian airspace- don’t use anything other than official waypoints or routes in your flightplan.. they hate coordinates .

EETU, Estonia

Do not underestimate the terrain in Slovenia. Those mountains are much higher than many pilots including me some years ago think. And the area is quite active in regards to thunderstorms as well. Why not take an experienced pilot along for the ride. She / he could do the radio and your experience will be a lot more relaxed. Also watch out for those stones on the lido runway we did discuss a few days ago.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

ivark wrote:

Snoopy’s route seems about perfect, but from my limited experience in Slovenian airspace- don’t use anything other than official waypoints or routes in your flightplan.. they hate coordinates .

Foreflight laziness ;)

It’s LOAN, Golva, LJMB, Celje, Radece, Trebnje, Ponikve, Laze, Col, (Descend) Duino, Grado, Lignano, Caorle, Jesolo, LIPV.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Thanks a lot snoopy for the route ! It would be great to hear from your experience, I contact you in PM.
This route actually offers a good alternate with Portoroz I believe.

And yes, I might have another pilot with me but it is still unsure and he never did the trip to Venice either
@Sebastian, I think I found the thread you re referring to. Will check that !

Austria

LIPV is simply epic. It’s my favourite airport in the world. You feel like you’re in an Indiana Jones movie. Just watch the 1500 and avoid the restricted area and you’ll be fine. I’ve flown in from the north east a few times including VFR and the controllers have always been fine with D transit. As soon as you land book a water taxi as they can take a while to arrive. Keep your eyes peeled for cruise ships on departure. I once was half way to V2 and atc started yelling at me to abort take off. Next thing I could see was this enormous 15 storey high building appearing at the end of the runway ! The grass is in good nick unless it’s been raining a lot in the last week. If you’re going VFR then use SkyDemon. Incredible bit of kit. Turn on IFR on the SD so you can plot the route using waypoints as it makes easy sense to ATC and they respect the fact you are trying to make their life easier. Have a great trip. J

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

I also strongly agree with the other posters on thunderstorms, terrain and having a safety pilot for you first bug trip out if you’re taking pax.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message