Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EKBI Billund

Hi! We are considering a family trip to Billund in the coming days based on the good reports here , here and here and proximity to Legoland.

Autorouter tells me a slot is required for an IFR arrival/departure (as if this were a slot-coordinated airport) , although I have not been able to find the AIP ref. Can someone confirm it is required and what is the correct email address for the request (if any?)

Also, any advise for an IFR alternate to EKBI? I am considering Odense EKOD but something closer might be better.

Thx!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Regarding the alternate:
I have flown several times to EKVD(Kolding/Vamdrup) which is probably the closest and best IFR airport. It is a small airport with AFIS but very friendly for GA and you can get fuel.
A perfect airport. The drive to Billund is not that bad from there.

ESSZ, Sweden

Perfect, that should work. Thx! We’ll still have to check wx on the day but it looks like a good option.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Good luck with the trip. And a good thing to know when flying there: the approach control is named “SKRYDSTRUP APPROACH” which is really hard to pronounce. Practice saying it a few times before you go there. ;)

If you haven’t heard it before you will be clueless when they tell you with the Danish accent.

Even I as a swede have a hard time saying it. :)

Last Edited by Fly310 at 02 Aug 20:02
ESSZ, Sweden

It‘s a weak spot of the otherwise excellent autorouter. Their warnings about handling/slot requirements at airports are often imprecise and sometimes even downright false.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Fly310 wrote:

“SKRYDSTRUP

Sky r str p , no Skrystup, no Skrystr…something. I ’ll get the hang of it…point well taken!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Practice saying it a few times before you go there.

I have relatives in Denmark who prepared me for proper pronunciation when landing to Kolding.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I have been to Billund several times, all IFR, and have never heard of a slot requirement. I would just file and go – they’re very easy going.

For Vamdrup, I would just check the rental car availability. Not sure they have any there. Otherwise there is Karup. Plenty of IFR airports in that part of the world

EGTR

I’ve also been to Billund (EKBI) / Legoland a few times and never had to bother with slot. Filed via autorouter.

However, last time was a few years ago, so I can not tell if things have changed since.

Billund and Legoland is a really great destination to go with younger kids. It has a nice GA terminal and the entrance to Legoland from the terminal is even closer than the car parking. Probably cheaper too. We paid like 80-100 DKK all inclusive.

You may want to have a look at Legoland webpage to get an idea of a good time to visit when it is less croudy. We have mainly been there at end of August/early September. The queues have been very short at those times.

ESMH

Thank you

Antonio wrote:

Autorouter tells me a slot is required for an IFR arrival/departure (as if this were a slot-coordinated airport)

I got an email reply from [email protected] that slot only applies to MTOM>3500kg

Antonio
LESB, Spain
46 Posts
Sign in to add your message