Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A trip from Estonia to Croatia with my sons

During the last week we made a trip to Croatia on my Cherokee-140 with my 2 sons.

First leg was EETU-EYPR, a really nice gliding club in Pociunai, Lithuania. Most of the westbound trip we had 10-15kt headwind, so the trip took 3 hours. We refuelled with B91 at a very reasonable price (1.5EUR/l) , took a quick coffe and headed to Poprad.
The flight to Poprad was quite ordinary, I experimented with flying over and under the cloud layer, over was much nicer view but 15kt slower.. Poprad was CAVOK.
We had agreed with aeroclub that we can put the plane into their hangar- what we didn’t know was that the club also sells AVGAS at much better price than LZTT.
We spent a wonderful day at Tatra mountains.

I cannot say the same for Budget Poprad- the car we got had really nasty vibration on braking and they still havent freed my deposit..
As Croatia is not in Schengen we needed a place for immigration. Direct flight over Serbia was also out of question,as I have LAPL which is not valid outside EASA. We choose Balaton as our refueling stop and everything was really smooth there. Refueling + passport check took less than 15min and we got e-invoices after a few hours. Airport fees about 30 eur , avgas around 2EUR. After that we took taxi to nearby town for lunch.

Next destination was Split. I remembered at the last minute that we need PPR for Split and Brac, fortunately they accepted us quickly, but told that it wouldn’t have been possible during weekends.. I cannot speak highly enough of Hungarian and Croatian ATC- in Hungary we were cleared direct through the country at 5or6000 , same thing in Croatia. Split was interesting experience, probably one of the busiest airports I have visited. Everything was really smooth. Also cheap avgas :)

Next hop was to Brac- interesting approach to an airfield on top of a cliff . RW 04 was also decending significantly, which made for an interesting landing

Return trip took us to Maribor – amazingly efficent , immigration + refueling took less than 10 minutes, 20eur landing fee and 2EUR for AVGAS. Then a trip through GAFOR routes and Austria – probably the nicest flying during the whole trip.

We landed at LKFR, beautiful gliding club near Ostrava and stayed the night there.

Very nice people, the club has their own bar + mogas and avgas.
Today was race to get home before thunderstorms. We managed to avoid the weather in Poland- most of the flight over the top at 5000ft and direct through all kind of TMA-s. Refuelled at EYKS, (they have self-service mogas + avgas). Last leg got us nicely showered ,but Tartu was CAVOK.

EETU, Estonia

Very nice! Great job!

ESSZ, Sweden

Very cool trip! Well done!

Regarding car rental in Poprad: A few years ago, I did use ToPPCAR Poprad. Very good service, fair prices, modern and clean cars, free delivery and pickup at the airport, and hassle-free. Totally recommended. http://www.toppcar-poprad.sk/

Yes, the aeroclub not only sells Avgas for a fair price, but it offers also Mogas. We even slept in their accommodation, which was clean and cozy. Great memories on that trip back in summer 2018.

Last Edited by Frans at 16 Jul 19:12
Switzerland

Lovely trip, do you have the full route flown?

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Jul 19:14
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Very nice trip! Thanks for sharing!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Looks like you guys had a great trip! Thanks for sharing!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Great stuff ! I hope they made great memories and liked the flying travel concept.

LFOU, France

Great trip! One question: why did you make stop at Split if Brac was your final destination? Brac has immigration and avgas at same price as Split and it’s just 10 minutes down the road.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Super trip – many thanks for posting it

GA has a really great value sometimes…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message