Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Föhr (EDXY) - another short trip report / pirep

Just the day after flying to Sylt, we decided to head up towards the German North Sea coast again. Just to the south of Sylt is the island of Föhr. It is much less posh than Sylt. Also, they “only” have a small GA airfield, with two crossing grass runways of a little more than 600 metres of lenth.

We flew VFR this time. On our way up there, the beautiful river Eider.

This is the view across the island, taken the day before, enroute to Sylt.

Approaching the island from the south, and with the winds from the north, it was a straight-in for runway 02.

The landing fee is 17 Euros for a mid-size SEP. The also rent out bicycles, but with weather as good as this, they sell out quickly in the morning. But the best is that – as you can see from the previous pics – from the aircraft parking, it is merely a couple hundred metres walk to the beach which is facing south. With the winds from the north, that was ideal.

From there, it is a very pleasant 30-minute beachside walk all around the southeasterly bit of the island, to its capital, Wyk.

Back at the airfield, it was busy. It is always much busier than Sylt, thanks to the much lower landing fees, the friendlier atmosphere at the airfield, the lower costs in general and the direct beach access.

A few more pics taken on departure.

And, although unrelated to Föhr, a few more pics of Schleswig-Holstein and the VFR approach into Lübeck.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks Boscomantico, lovely photos on this and the Sylt report. Somewhere for me to look forward to going post Covid

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Do they accept English RT ?

LFOU, France

Nice pictures!

Went there last year, pitched up our tents right next to our 3 RVs. Very nice and friendly place, but also highly touristic. Next day we set off to the usual highlight of the area, Helgoland

PS
Juju, yes they do, like almost anywhere in Germany.

ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

We recently had this topic at length here. Officially, they are „German only“. And I don‘t think their main Flugleiter (nickname „Hansman“) speaks much English. But then again, these guys up north are so chilled, they will likely just reply „OK“ on the radio, and maybe say „02“ or as applicable. I guess they are used to the occasional unprepared und unknowing foreigner flying in, and will deal with it.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 May 18:23
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

As always, very nice! Föhr is definitely on my list for this year.

Switzerland
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message