Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sylt (EDXW) - short trip report / pirep

Considering that Euroga has been online for almost 10 years now, there is surprisingly little about Sylt here… hence a few infos and pics.

The most northerly of the German islands is known as a place for the rich, with many a Michelin star restaurant, but also renouned for it 40km long beaches and associated dunes. Thanks to its tourism, it has a proper international airport (called “Westerland/Sylt”) with airline services, etc. The fees for light GA aren’t very cheap, about 70 Euros for an SR22 and a few hours of parking. Please note however that despite all that, the opening hours of the airport are not too great. And if you want to fly IFR, you must to that during the ATS operating hours, which are even more limited.

Two weeks ago, given the glorious high pressure most of us were able enjoy in the end of April, we (my parents and me) headed up there for a day trip. About 45 minutes at Cirrus speeds from EDHL.

Despite the sunny wheather, we went IFR and flew the RNP to runway 32.

Approaching Sylt, this is Nordstrand.

And this is Föhr.

On a two-mile final. To the right is Keitum. To the very left is Westerland, the capital of the island.

GA is parked on a separate apron. From where you park, you walk across the apron to the little dedicated GA building. And DO take your high-vis… Sylt was the first airport in Germany to introduce this several years ago, and now this disease is spreading across the whole country.

Anyway, we headed for the village of Kampen, the poshest place on Sylt. We went to the beach just north of it, at an outfit called “Bune 16”. It was some lovely walking across the dunes and along the beach.

Of course, we also had some light lunch there.

Back at the airport, this is the GA building, taken from landside.

Departing on the SID takes us past Kampen again. Conoisseurs of Sylt will even spot the famous “Whiskystrasse” there.

The southern bit of the island.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Feels great to see pictures of somewhere away from here.
Though I am a bit in shock after seeing people having drinks together around tables without masks

Did you find bikes or took a taxi ?

LFOU, France

We got picked up at the airports by friends. EDXW did use to have App2Drive cars directly at the GAT, but currently no more. This btw applies to many places in Germany. Maybe this is related Corona somehow (although, one has to say that domestic German GA movements have never been higher than during Corona), or maybe it‘s the start of the slow but often forecast decay of this company/business model.

Relatively speaking, Schleswig-Holstein never had much Corona.

We flew to Sylt some years back.
Arrived on a weekday in early june, GA apron had maybe 15 light GA planes.
Left on a saturday, the GA apron was full to the brink with jets and turbo-props.
Certainly a popular destination.

ESMK, Sweden

Until a few years ago, they had a promotion going, i.e. all aircraft below 1.2 tons paid very moderate landings fees. This temporarily diverted some of the „Föhr crowd“ to Sylt.

Btw, on eddh.de someone just yesterday reported that due to the silly opening times, they (2 aircraft) paid over 2500€ in PPR fees for getting the airport „opened“ for them…so if you decide to go, make sure you are within the normal opening times (NOTAM).

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 May 08:16

Nice trip – many thanks for posting it

It would be great to have a report on our EuroGA airport database It’s doing quite well – 566 reports and that is over not many months and during a time when so few are flying.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for the nice report and pictures!
As an (almost) local I want to add and important not of information regarding the pricing:

During the off season they usually have an offer for aircraft ≤ 2t that includes a landing, passenger fees, a day of parking, an ice cream and a voucher for a snack for about 35€ if I remember correctly. The offer usually starts each October, but I’m not sure whether they’ll do it this year.

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

AFAIK, that was not an off-season thing. Also, it was limited to max 1.2 tons MTOW. Anyway, last time they had this sort of promotion was in 2019 and there is currently no hint that they are intending on doing it again.

So, make 100% sure you are arriving and leaving within the (very limited) regular opening hours. And even if you do that, even in a sub 1.2 ton aircraft, expect around 40-50€ for an SEP day visit if coming VFR, and 70-90 Euro for an SEP day visit if coming IFR. (The variation comes from the number of persons on board).

In a 1.5 ton aircraft, and with 3 POB, arriving IFR, I just paid 100€.

Super nice! This has been on my list for a long time. The Dutch/Frisian weather has been in the way during the weekends I could go, and then COVID made it almost impossible.
While waiting for better times, I enjoy your pictures! Thanks for sharing!

EHLE LIMB, Netherlands
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message