Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Short trip to the lovely town of Gelnhausen (EDFG)

This Sunday was looking grey at our hometown, but nice after midday just 40 minutes of flight away at Gelnhausen. So we decided to put our Kwiggles into the plane and fly to the Kinzig valley, to have a short ride there and visit Gelnhausen at the end.
So as always on Sundays we have been a bit late, but although we departed a quarter past one it worked out nicely.

Overflying Stuttgart, you can see the oval building of the “Daimler Benz Stadion” the play ground for one of the most famous German soccer clubs, the VFB Stuttgart. Okay, I’m kidding about the importance of this club, but on the right side of it, you can see a silver cylinder, and this is the Mercedes Benz museum, and that ist really famous.

Going directly northbound, following the river Neckar. Nice view of Heilbronn in the sun.

Christiane was really surprised to see, how much harbor Heilbronn has.

Approaching the 07 of EDFG. Although it is a grass field the condition was absolutely okay to go there with the Bonanza. I realized, that I normally don’t fly to grass fields in November. But in the pandemic year everything seems to be different.

The cycling along the river took us a while because we can’t go so fast with our old dog, so we had only a short glance on the old town of Gelnhausen. But it looks beautiful. nice houses, and also many nice little shops. So one should plan a visit during the week or on Saturday not on Sunday.

Meanwhile the weather was fabulous and so we prepared for a nice sunset flight back to EDDS.

You can see the progress of the new railway station named “Stuttgart 21” here.

Reporting point ECHO of Stuttgart, near the Stuttgart TV tower. We got a direct to base 07 from this position. I was advised to do use taxiway G after landing to go direct to the GAT.

So I used it to practice a precise short approach with landing direct on the threshold. Christiane made the photo with this unusual perspective. Four red is not the standard for someone flying instrument approaches as standard, but before you ask: I’m landing always a bit left of centerline, just to give her the better position for the approach photos.
It was again a nice short trip. I can recommend Gelnhausen as destination.

EDDS , Germany

Thanks Peter

Gelnhausen in the winter sun really does look nice in your photo

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

A great trip. I wish many more people were going places, but so few are currently.

Any lower on that last pic and you would be taking out the runway lights

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for pointing another cute village reachable via GA, for better times

LFOU, France

eddsPeter wrote:

So I used it to practice a precise short approach with landing direct on the threshold. Christiane made the photo with this unusual perspective. Four red is not the standard for someone flying instrument approaches as standard, but before you ask: I’m landing always a bit left of centerline, just to give her the better position for the approach photos.

aghh, we can’t discuss this then

Awesome grass-roots trip, I imagine this explains the short approach on the way back !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message