Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip to Germany - scenic places?

I’ve been lots of lovely places in Europe but I have never been to Germany. I would like to get one last trip in before winter really sets in, and considering COVID restrictions Germany seems to be quarantine free for both entry and returning back to the UK. Can anyone recommend some nice scenic places to visit for a weeks trip.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

I’ve never been to Germany by GA, but Traben-Trabach EDRM had good writeups from Jujupilote and Boscomantico, and Nürnberg was good for a weekend (AirBerlin not DR400).

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

The entire chain of Frisian islands, both East and North Frisian, are very scenic to explore by GA (and much more convenient than by ferry). Most of these have their own airfield. If coming from the west, Leer-Papenburg EDWF or Wilhelmshaven EDWI are good bases to start out from. Both have customs afaik (PPR though!) and EDWI also has an IAP, as has Emden EDWE, just north of Leer.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Rob
We went here a week ago and there was plenty to do and see, customs from the UK both ways, no problem, or you could try Sylt, again customs available.

https://www.edwi.info/

I’ve never been to the airfield personally but heard many good things about Koblenz. The area is beautiful.

If you’re anywhere near it, I really enjoyed the view and fantastic slow roast ribs at Idar-Oberstein [EDRG]

I wouldn’t make a trip out of it, but if you’re passing by, it’s worth the stop.
Gravel runway though, so make sure you have a craft that won’t be damaged by stones (no pusher props)

Michaestadt EDGP and Oppenheim EDFO are supposed to be lovely.

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom

The best I have seen close-up is the area around Hangau, where I normally stay for the Aero Friedrichshafen show. There is Meersburg, and the general area is nice, by the lake. You can get a boat to Konstanz in Switzerland and that’s another nice day trip.

The airport EDNY is also ok, without problems.

It is also close to the Alps (Ryanair call EDNY “Alps” ) – about 1hr’s driving.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for referencing my report of Traben
From the research I made (never been there) :
Wurzburg looks full of historic buildings from different eras.
Kempten airfield rents a car that allows to explore the bavarian castles.

LFOU, France

MedEwok wrote:

The entire chain of Frisian islands, both East and North Frisian, are very scenic to explore by GA (and much more convenient than by ferry). Most of these have their own airfield. If coming from the west, Leer-Papenburg EDWF or Wilhelmshaven EDWI are good bases to start out from. Both have customs afaik (PPR though!) and EDWI also has an IAP, as has Emden EDWE, just north of Leer.

+1 for that plan. If you have any sympathy for maritime scenery and atmosphere, you are going to have a great time here! You can even start with the islands on the NL side, although not as many have airfields here. Texel is a very nice airfield for sure and you might even want to include Ameland, then make your way further North-East with Borkum, Juist, Norderney, Baltrum, Langeoog, Wangerooge to choose from and then even further North you can visit Föhr, Sylt or even Pellworm, the latter one with PPR. If you are bringing your life vests, you can venture out to Helgoland and say hello to the seals right next to the runway. Also the non-island airfields in the vicinity such as St. Peter Ording and Heide/Büsum are nice and have good restaurants at the airfield and in the nearby towns.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message