Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which UK airfields are NOT PPR and have no limiting "opening hours" for private ops?

Sure, you can use any airstrip you wish if coming from GE, FR, BE, NL, etc. As done here for example. Restrictions on the choice of airfield only apply if coming from say the Channel Isles.

Of course, all this might change in a few months time, but let’s wait and see.

I don’t share the negativity about airfield locations. Of course, by nature they tend to not be smack at the centre of a city/town or so, but most places have their very own positive aspects, plus, at least in general in Europe, transport options at airfields are not so bad with:

• more and more smaller airfields offering rental cars (either private setups or via App2Drive)
  • more and more airfields offering rental bikes
  • nice ultra-foldable bicycles appearing
  • more and more airfields being within UBER coverage!
  • thanks to google, etc. it being much easier nowadays to research close-by (walkable) bus or train stops or rental cars offices.

I find that some decent option exists at almost every airfield. And when it doesn’t then it’s an occasional (slightly more expensive) taxi ride. By the way, researching local taxi numbers has also become much easier with smartphones, etc.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Graham wrote:

I am yet to hear exactly why they cannot take a position of “it’s an airfield that was here before you were, get used to it and stop calling us”

The law may not support that position. In Sweden the law is clear that you can move into a house close to some environmentally unfriendly activity and then demand that it stops or is restricted. Whether that demand is met is another question, but in court the fact that it was there before you came would have zero significance. For that reason most airfield operators in Sweden aggressively oppose new building permits close to their airport.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

There are loads of farm strips in the UK where you could fly anytime, if you phone up the owner and speak to him nicely. But, traditionally, you won’t be allowed in with an SR22 (or a TB20, etc) whereas you have a much better chance with a taildragger. That is just how the culture works…

Usually more fixed gear vs retractable gear, I once got someone who says his strip can’t take RG, after visiting in a C172, I think he was right !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I think there are many which meet the OP requirements but we aren’t going to get them reported for various reasons.

Also there are ones which are not PNR/PPR but need you to call if you want fuel e.g. Kirkbride – which is to be expected since some way needs to be found to pay the wages of the pump man, so he can’t be there 24/7 or even all day all week. A self service pump is one solution but they seem to be rare in the UK for some reason.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

A self service pump is one solution but they seem to be rare in the UK for some reason.

Self-service is not actually that rare. What is quite rare is a pump which takes a credit card directly or some other means of self-processing the payment. At smaller places one operates the pump oneself and then has to go inside to pay – and obviously that needs someone to be present. Or it doesn’t for me at Enstone (the card machine is just there on the desk and you key in the amount and pay) but this is really an honesty system for regulars – you couldn’t do it with high visitor volume.

The best system is at Oxford where the bowser pulls up 10 seconds after you shut down. Then you can phone up operations at your leisure and give them your card details over the phone.

EGLM & EGTN

Self-service is not actually that rare. What is quite rare is a pump which takes a credit card directly or some other means of self-processing the payment. At smaller places one operates the pump oneself and then has to go inside to pay – and obviously that needs someone to be present.

Sure; that means you can’t get fuel unless the man is around

Totally self-service pumps are very unusual. There is going to be a significant monthly fee which will prevent small places having them, too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Breighton has cheap self service 100LL and JetA1 with a card machine and no PPR or arbitrary time restriction.

And a collection of historic aircraft in regular use.

I’ve never heard of anyone asking for PPR at Bute. We used to just put money in the honesty box but now hand it over at the pub.

Last Edited by Jacko at 21 Sep 14:06
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Totally self-service pumps are very unusual. There is going to be a significant monthly fee which will prevent small places having them, too.

I usually phone for full serve fuel to top off my plane at my US home base, the extra cost per gallon is worth it to eliminate start/stop hassle at the beginning of a flight. However at any stop away from base I taxi up to the pump for self serve with credit card payment. In many cases I’d have no other choice, especially at small airports, nobody is around and it may not be clear who owns the station.

What is it about credit card payment or terms that is actually different in Europe?

I think that the difference is that nobody wants to pay for the credit card surcharge, because fuel (and everything else in aviation) is already so expensive to begin with. In America, people seem to have way less of a problem paying for services, since the baseline cost is lower. Plus, credit cards are generally much more prevalent in the US. In Europe, whenever there is a situation where there is no way to pay cash, some people will invariably complain…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

You’re describing my wife However I don’t object greatly to her aversion to credit cards…

I haven’t myself paid cash to buy fuel for any vehicle in years.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Sep 16:59
Sign in to add your message