Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Airports Database

This has now been done.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

This has now been done.

The list is more than sufficient I can’t imagine additional method of payment… maybe Bitcoin

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

BTW the option you added “Debit card” is actually something that doesn’t exist. It’s a common name for all the cards (regardless the brand, including proprietary ones) which are connected with some account and the transaction is immediately debited form that account.

I see why you object to the term: While the generic term “debit card” was maybe not ideal (and – betraying my age now – most of my contemporaries still refer to it as “EC card”), it is the Maestro card resp. your bank card using the Maestro system. I haven’t stumbled over Visa or Mastercard debit cards in my daily life, but they exist of course. So in the end, I would not find it a useless option since most payments around here (Germany, Netherlands) that are not cash are usually paid by bank card (using the Maestro system AFAIU); maybe call the option “Maestro” as you suggested.

Cheers,
Sebastian

EHRD / Rotterdam

Emir wrote:

The list is more than sufficient I can’t imagine additional method of payment… maybe Bitcoin

In fact, there is one more that would make sense to add:

An increasing number of airports are now accepting AeroPS, so you are able to pay from the aircraft via the app.

I found this to have become more relevant during the COVID restrictions, as for airports accepting this, there is no need to interact with staff.

Of course, one could check on their website for airports supporting this payment method. On the other hand, maybe they provide an API endpoint and one could just retrieve the data and integrate it into the Euroga airport database and not collect redundant info? And of course they do : https://www.aerops.com/en/developer-api/aerops-prices-api

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I have some wholly predictable questions

How many airports in Europe support this API?

What is the financial incentive for them to feed in the data?

How much would people donate to see this feature? It would cost 1-3k to implement, I think, by the time the various special cases were handled properly.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I have some wholly predictable questions

Yes. We are moving in circles with this topic.

Peter wrote:

How many airports in Europe support this API?

The blue and the green circles are airports that support payment via AeroPS. The grey circles provide only price information but have to be paid conventionally.

Source: https://www.aerops.com/en/

Peter wrote:

What is the financial incentive for them to feed in the data?

Not sure I understand who is “them”. The airports or the platform operator? The incentive for airports before Covid was to offer a new, modern way of paying landing fees while I think at the same time reducing their overhead for payment administration. During Covid it allows airport visitors to pay landing fees without physical contact with airport staff, as mentioned above. I used it a lot during summer on our three week island trip on the Frisian islands.

Peter wrote:

How much would people donate to see this feature? It would cost 1-3k to implement, I think, by the time the various special cases were handled properly.

Like the other API topic (and I still wanted to respond there as well, apologies), this isn’t about costs. Similar to the other topic, I for once would donate my time to build this, if there was an appetite for it. Though I have to say, my comment on the API here was slightly tongue-in-cheek. I think there is a value in adding the information dynamically to EuroGA (in the sense that when you view an airport report, you could easily see if it supports the AeroPS payment method and you wouldn’t have to rely on community-contributed content for this information, which will be outdated eventually, but you could always show up-to-date information) but I think the overall value of THIS is an order of magnitude or so less than the other topic that’s not about consuming data, but about allowing data to be consumed.

How is the above map generated?

I am most impressed somebody managed to get EGHE to support this, since they appear to have close to zero interest in GA traffic, have no fuel, and the landing fee is paid by an automated phone system to the local council.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

How is the above map generated?

I am most impressed somebody managed to get EGHE to support this, since they appear to have close to zero interest in GA traffic, have no fuel, and the landing fee is paid by an automated phone system to the local council.

I guess you don’t need support to just maintain a record of the price data and as EGHE is a grey circle, it means you can’t use the app to pay there.

But at Shoreham, you can pay landing fees and fuel.

I have made a few phone calls to airports in the Aerops map and have rapidly concluded that some large %, possibly the vast majority, of the map is fiction.

What they have been doing is calling the airports and when they got some potential interest they list them on the map

Administrator

Sebastian_H wrote:

I see why you object to the term: While the generic term “debit card” was maybe not ideal (and – betraying my age now – most of my contemporaries still refer to it as “EC card”), it is the Maestro card resp. your bank card using the Maestro system.

No, Maestro is not the only debit card system. Maybe all/most German banks issue a Maestro card, but e.g. in Luxembourg, one gets a “V Pay” card as debit card (at least in the bank I use). In the Netherlands, one bank (ING) gave me a “V Pay” card and the other a “maestro”. While some/many POS will accept both, these are wholly separate networks, just like Visa or MasterCard. (And actually, these are debit cards operated by these two networks.) And some networks have multiple debit card products. Visa has at least V Pay, Visa Debit, Visa Electron and Visa Plus. Mastercard seems to have Debit Mastercard, Maestro, and Cirrus?

ELLX
Sign in to add your message