Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Airports Database

We are at 492 now. I wonder who will make #500?

2020 has been a horrible flying year…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From here

It would be great to attach the VAC-charts to the EuroGA airport database . Someone will own the AIP and make it available.

The EuroGA airport database already has the aerodrome AIP. It comes from EAD and is always bang up to date. You get the EAD links; we don’t cache the PDFs to avoid the obvious risk of out of date data.

To make a local copy of the AIPs means storing probably 50GB of data. I was involved with a project 15 years ago which grabbed the whole of EAD and made a local cache. It was abandoned and never went anywhere… I believe if you pay for the B2B access then you can do this overtly. But there is no point, and it is risky.

@euroflyer maybe you are thinking of serving the German VFR charts? They are DFS copyright so we would get the lawyers onto us pretty fast – as they have reportedly done with various German airfields which put them on their websites.

You don’t pay to look at road signs.

That’s right. All of aviation regulation is criminal law and the text of criminal law should be freely accessible. It’s a very basic principle, and it corresponds with the equally old principle that ignorance is no excuse.

Administrator

The EuroGA airport database already has the aerodrome AIP

I meant the VAC charts which are of greatest interest. I did not think that German lawyers could act against a British publication.

Berlin, Germany

I did not think that German lawyers could act against a British publication.

They certainly can. It just costs a few tens of k more but the German Govt has unlimited resources.

It would also give EuroGA a dirty name. Yes… I know… there are those who would enjoy nothing more. Imagine the rejoicing on PUF.

I am sure there are countless private clubs around Germany for sharing the DFS subscription.

Administrator

Last summer I had a vacuum pump failure just shortly before coming to my destination 600NM away from home. They had no workshop there, but could indicate me to the next airport, where they had a very large operation and fixed me up in 45 minutes.
→ besides the restaurant checkbox, would it be possible to add a “aviation workshop” checkbox, to indicate where one might get work done while out and about?

ESMK, Sweden

Yes that’s a very good point. Let me look into where it can fit into the current “adaptive style” so it doesn’t break things.

Workshop facilities are not common… they would almost always go with hangarage, I think.

Administrator

Three to go to reach 500

Administrator

I am looking at doing a telegram bot for the database.

Can anyone suggest how it might be structured so it works well?

It would deliver the existing other data too i.e. ex notams and the aip links.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Can anyone suggest how it might be structured so it works well?

I suggest different commands for “trip planning” information (e.g. comments, fuel prices) which is more extensive and does not change rapidly and for “preflight” information (e.g. NOTAMs) which is short and changes rapidly.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I wouldn’t bother with notams. It’s covered by other bots.

The Euroga bot should feature

→ input command „submit“ which triggers a reply
A (bot)
B (pilot)

B submit new report
A Hello, thanks for submitting a new report. Please specify CHAT or CODE.
B Code
A Ok, please report the ICAO code or NO ICAO
B no icao
A Ok, please give me the name or send your position
B sending position.
A Thank you. Are you there now?
B No
A When was your visit?
B 12/02/2020
A Ok. Please say aircraft type
B SR22
A Please say MTOW eg 1234kg or 2468lbs