Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Airports Database

I don’t see the option to edit a previous report of mine, do I miss something?

hfl
EHLE, Netherlands

The Edit button is there for 7 days. If you tell me the URL I can give you another 7 days

Unless it was done as a Guest in which case you can’t – because then the system doesn’t know who “you” are so it can’t let “you” back in. Only an admin (me or a few others) can edit those records. That’s why Guest reports have to be all finished, any pics uploaded, etc, before Submit is pressed; you can’t go back. This is described in the FAQ.

The Guest feature was added to allow people loyal to other forums to support the pilot community without getting into trouble “back home”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m not talking about a Guest mode. The data I enter is my data, so I should always te able to edit it (or delete it for that matter). My data doesn’t become the property of the site or site admin, the user retains the copyright of the data. I just double checked the terms and conditions of EuroGA, and that’s what is written

The copyright to what you write on this site is yours.

Nothing written that after 7 days, the data becomes the property of EuroGA.

So why can’t I edit my own data, or entirely delete an entry if I wish? Why do you block this possibility? I even doubt it is even legal, but I’m no lawyer. At least, for me this is a showstopper for making entries in the airport database.

hfl
EHLE, Netherlands

The copyright to what you write on EuroGA is yours.

The edit window exists for good reasons to do with the operation of the forum and the airport database, and is 100% GDPR compliant. The principle has been established following much legal advice, by various online communities in Europe. Every community site operating under GDPR needs to have these terms and conditions.

Those who wish to contribute to our community and help other pilots go places, should contribute.

Those who would like to keep the option to damage (or remove, for no valid reason) the contributed data in the future, should not contribute.

This is nothing new. Let’s say someone writes a book, and it ends up at 1000 libraries. The author retains copyright but doesn’t have the right to demand one day that all the books, or any particular copy of the book, is destroyed, or has some pages ripped out of it.

This has been much discussed in the past. We always help out where somebody wants to change something for a valid reason, and that has happened many times.

Administrator

hfl wrote:

I’m not talking about a Guest mode. The data I enter is my data, so I should always te able to edit it (or delete it for that matter). My data doesn’t become the property of the site or site admin, the user retains the copyright of the data. I just double checked the terms and conditions of EuroGA, and that’s what is written

The copyright to what you write on this site is yours.

Nothing written that after 7 days, the data becomes the property of EuroGA.

So why can’t I edit my own data, or entirely delete an entry if I wish? Why do you block this possibility? I even doubt it is even legal, but I’m no lawyer. At least, for me this is a showstopper for making entries in the airport database.

You’re unfamiliar with how posting stuff on the internet works, I suspect?

You do retain copyright of the text but you don’t retain the right to edit or delete. That would be giving you edit rights over someone else’s website. It’s like suggesting that all emails and letters you write must be returned to you on demand.

EGLM & EGTN

Not wholly surprisingly (it’s the way GA is in Europe – it is quite tribal on social media) the EuroGA airport database came under a hostile attack when I posted it in a couple of domestic forums (Germany and France) and from the timing of the last bit it is obvious that HFL was sent here (probably by a particular person, formerly on EuroGA) to be a bit of an agent provocateur

Anybody who wants to contribute to a community project while retaining their right to destroy those contributions at some future date needs their head examined. And European law does not support that.

For those, my recommended solution is to spend less time on the internet, and it is in two parts:

Part 1:

Look around the house until you find this

and pull it out.

Part 2:

Administrator

Bumping this topic

We are now at 478 reports.

2020 has been a really hard year for most pilots, and especially hard for going to new places and more so going abroad. However, reports from recent years are very valuable too.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

However, reports from recent years are very valuable too.

What would be the benefit from the old reports? The prices have changed, runway/taxiway conditions are also subject to change, some airports are not so GA friendly anymore, etc.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Over a year or two, little usually changes.

Management personality issues can start at any time.

And photos are timeless

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Anybody who wants to contribute to a community project while retaining their right to destroy those contributions at some future date needs their head examined. And European law does not support that.

Oh boy I missed all this “fun”… I wonder if it’s all this locking people up in their homes with no flying or if there are just some real crackers out there…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France
Sign in to add your message