Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tourist info resources for the VFR traveller

There’s a 2016 article from the UK Light Aircraft Association, listing their recommended airfields in France and a few details, which is a good source for ideas.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Or the good old “syndicat d’initiative” as we used to say in the 80’s.

LFMD, France

The world has really changed. Most people – specific national resources excepted – examples – just seem to go to booking.com or airb&b. Google is probably used quite a lot, too; that’s what I used before the other two.

Before that, one visited the tourist office, which was always a “procedure”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have the following bookmarked for a long time:

French Airfields and Restaurants nearby

Last Edited by Arun at 11 Jan 15:26
EDMB, Germany

Try this site to see if it’s any help:
arthurandarthur.co.uk there’s a section called French airfield maps and it looks to cover most of the CAP airfields in France with a brief write up on airfield and towns.

France

You mean “La France en avion” by “Le Petit Futé”?

ELLX

There used to be a guide to all airfields facilities, restaurants with prices for.menus etc. taxi numbers, fuel.
The problem is I can’t remember its name, I’ll see if there’s a copy at the Aeroclub at the weekend and report back.
Then the FFA started reviewing airfields in Info Pilote and I think the book which was published annually was stopped.

France

For central France the Aéroclub d’Orléans has a list of airfields with a few photos, some history of the town, its main attractions, hotels and restaurants (inc. Michelin), how to get there from the airfield, plus things to fly over e.g. castles. In French, but can be translated. I think it’s a good guide.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

For German readers, that is available here.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Funny, somebody offered to me the first version of this guide in 2012, and I found it totally useless. A list of places with no links with airfields apart from phone nulmbers of flying clubs
Your version looks better, indeed. The ground transportation contacts are great.
But how can they refer to Ouessant without mentioning its airfield ???

I would imagine such a guide as a list of 20 destinations (for France or a similar country/area), a description of each place and how to get there via GA (everything that’s not on the VAC). That’s it. A flying getaway guide.

LFOU, France
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message