Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tourist info resources for the VFR traveller

I have I mind that some tourist guide has edited a book specially for pilots with airports and tourist info merged in it….
Is someone sees what I mean I would be grateful for a reference to it… as I can not find it back in any way….

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Petit Futé has something like this, on Amazon and elsewhere – was it this? The reviews aren’t very good, but I’ve just bought a second hand one on eBay and will report back

Edit:
Thanks a_kraut, the EDDH interactive map is amazing

Last Edited by Capitaine at 01 Apr 19:15
EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

The book arrived last week.
The first 40 pages or so are dedicated to the why and how of learning to fly, with details about different licences, VFR and IFR, and how to plan a flight with references to websites for weather, information, associations etc. Most of this is available on ‘look inside’ on amazon link above. It must be aimed at non-pilots or students, as this should be already known (e.g. phonetic alphabet, acronyms).

The guide is organised by categories, and then a top 5 of each sub-category. There’s a description of the attraction, which must be from a normal tourist guide, then details of the nearest airfield. Some are quite far away, up to an hour’s drive away. There are also phone numbers for taxi companies or hire cars, and public transport (importantly with which route to follow).

• Festivals: carnivals, Christmas markets, 24h du Mans, Cannes film festival, feria de Nîmes etc
  • Nature: top 5 mountains, lakes, waterfalls, parks
  • Nature: including top 5 islands
  • Family: zoos, beaches, aquariums, theme parks etc
  • Culture: castles, gardens, churches, art, battle sites/memorials
  • Gastronomy: restaurants, regional cuisine, wine producing areas

It needs a map and a better index, but it’s easy enough to use the contents page instead. I don’t regret spending £10, but was expecting something a bit more aviation-based e.g. things to fly over, and with attractions much nearer to airports. Still a good place to get ideas, but I think its main purpose is as an advert for GA.

Capitaine wrote:

Still a good place to get ideas, but I think its main purpose is as an advert for GA.

and France as well

Got it ordered tough I think a Micro/ULM is even better for 2PoB

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Funny, somebody offered to me the first version of this guide in 2012, and I found it totally useless. A list of places with no links with airfields apart from phone nulmbers of flying clubs
Your version looks better, indeed. The ground transportation contacts are great.
But how can they refer to Ouessant without mentioning its airfield ???

I would imagine such a guide as a list of 20 destinations (for France or a similar country/area), a description of each place and how to get there via GA (everything that’s not on the VAC). That’s it. A flying getaway guide.

LFOU, France

For German readers, that is available here.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

For central France the Aéroclub d’Orléans has a list of airfields with a few photos, some history of the town, its main attractions, hotels and restaurants (inc. Michelin), how to get there from the airfield, plus things to fly over e.g. castles. In French, but can be translated. I think it’s a good guide.

There used to be a guide to all airfields facilities, restaurants with prices for.menus etc. taxi numbers, fuel.
The problem is I can’t remember its name, I’ll see if there’s a copy at the Aeroclub at the weekend and report back.
Then the FFA started reviewing airfields in Info Pilote and I think the book which was published annually was stopped.

France

You mean “La France en avion” by “Le Petit Futé”?

ELLX

Try this site to see if it’s any help:
arthurandarthur.co.uk there’s a section called French airfield maps and it looks to cover most of the CAP airfields in France with a brief write up on airfield and towns.

France
Sign in to add your message