Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tourist info resources for the VFR traveller

This is a good one: http://peter-ftp.co.uk/icons2/rolling.gif. Download it and drop it into a post Or just use the URL; I will never remove it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks, I was waiting for it :)

LFOU, France

LeSving wrote:

an easy-to-use and synthetic tourism site/forum/app

You mean a wife?

Well, my wife is top for organizing holidays/trips… The issue is to combine aviation & destination.
If my wife finds a great spot for a day trip/city trip… it does not mean there as an airport in the area and that transportation from/to the airport is easy.
If I find a great airport to go (or well an airport I have never been)… it does not mean it is near a great spot for a day trip/city trip and that transportation from/to the airport is easy.

@Jujupilote I am looking for the best solution as well for the combination. Let me know if you find it

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Some years ago,the French federation in link with some advertisers have done 2 dvd’s concerning France and another one the azur coast.It was really well done.You saw on a map,the airfields,with all the datas and all the touristic information around and on your way to the airfield.
There was also a "Le routard book relating to the aeronautic touristic areas.

LFDU, Belgium

I found on the Routard website, if you select a country among « destinations », click on « les incontournables » and you have a list and a map of points of interest in this country, apart from its capital which has its own menu.
I think it is only in French, maybe translation is enough.

Lonely planet has an equivalent list, but it seems less to the point.

Then I type the city name in SD, search the nearby practicable airport, then look into them in the app, EuroGA and eddh.de

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 19 Mar 18:19
LFOU, France

IfJujupilote wrote:

EuroGA and eddh.de

If you aren’t afraid of the German language of the eddh.de pireps, this could be of some use. A kmz-file for google earth containing the average scoring of all airports with pireps and links to the original pireps.

Last Edited by a_kraut at 19 Mar 19:14
Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

Maybe the app RunwayMay is on the way to what you are looking for. There is information about hotels, restaurants in the vicinity of the airports as well as some pireps and links to some more touristic orientated aviation sites like the mentioned eddh.de.

EDDS , Germany

I think the reason this is difficult is because Tripadvisor does a reasonable job of informing on the local area, and as regards the airport itself things can change so fast that most people (a) check the AIP (and European AIPs are generally much better today than 10 years ago when many were a joke) and (b) if they feel it necessary they contact the airport anyway. The % of GA flies goes places is really tiny, even in Germany, so the group which reports diligently on the airport sites is actually very small and a large chunk of reports on eddh.de come from only a few people.

I think that, like with a lot of things, if a database was started in say year 2000, when the internet was getting going and everybody was desperate to use it, we would now have a great resource. But now it is too fragmented.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks. I use eddh a lot for airfields in Northern Europe, and sometimes, the ways to get to the town are described.
As much as I disagree with Le Routard’s opinions, I have to say the page I described above fits my need. It gives about 8 remarkable places for each country, apart from its capital (hard to reach via GA and that need several days to visit anyway). Among those 8, there are say 3 big towns, 3 villages/islands, 2 castles and some national parks etc… So all I need to then check for nearby airfields and then roughly organize the next day’s getaway.
Of course, I don’t expect a pilot-tourist website, market is too small. But relying on both pilot and tourism resources, I think it’s manageable.

LFOU, France

Did you try viamichelin.fr ?
I like the site because you get
-excellent detailed road maps covering entire Europe which reminds me of the 1:200.000 Michelin Maps
-the green markings for scenic roads are very reliable – you get an instant impression where the countryside is beautiful
-you have the touristic sites at one glimpse and you may filter for 1 star, 2 star, 3 star sites

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany
Sign in to add your message