Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tip for IFR school navigation

Next week I will fly a Europe trip as a part of my CBIR course.

I will fly Malmö (ESMS)-Hannover(EDDV). Short break, then Hannover-Prague (LKPR). The night will be spent in Prague. In the morning we will be heading for Gdansk (EPGP). Short break and back to Malmö.

Do you have any tip or “good to know” about this airports? Anyone been to Prague recently and do know anything about the landning and parking fees?

Johan M
ESTT, ESMS

Have a good look out for icing!

Many threads on LKPR here. IIRC, everything from 50€ to 250€ has been reported for an SEP one-night stop. Looks like you have to choose the right handling agent. Which one did you intend on using? Anyway, there may be other variables at play…

If going in during week, you might consider Vodochody instead.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

A search on LKPR digs out some interesting threads The basic lesson is that no matter who you contact for a price, it will always cost you another €150

It is about €200 for a 1400kg aircraft.

Vodochody LKVO opens and closes when the owner feels like it. It is random… maybe if you telephone them and immediately fly there it will still be open when you get there

I would go for LKPR – less hassle.

Prague is really nice, but I would say that – I was born there! My last trip report is here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I would go for LKPR – less hassle.

I second that! Lifetime lost is much more precious than money lost. If you want to visit Prague, fly to Prague. The Hilton hotel downtown is very good and if you can get an aircrew rate through hour handling agent his fee is already paid.

Peter wrote:

Prague is really nice, but I would say that – I was born there!

I am not born there – but it is really worth a visit – or two, three, four… Hannover not so much, but Gdansk again is a real jewel (literally, as the town center has the highest density of jewelry shops I have ever seen anywhere).

EDDS - Stuttgart

Johan_M wrote:

Do you have any tip or “good to know” about this airports?

Hannover is a friendly and efficient airport for GA. Landing charges are €20 for a C172. Self-service AVGAS if you have a BP Carnet. The only drawback, really, is that there is no restaurant or cafeteria in the GA terminal — not even a vending machine.

And if you haven’t been to Germany before — German airports seem to insist on a full security check even when there are dedicated GA terminals.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

The only drawback, really, is that there is no restaurant or cafeteria in the GA terminal — not even a vending machine.

If you walk from the GA terminal towards the main terminal for 200 meters or so there is a little kiosk serving “Currywurst and Pommes” and similar stuff in decent quality. Inside the main terminal on the top floor, more or less in the middle of the terminal (the information desk will tell you!), you will find the canteen for airport employees (they also serve food to aircrew). You can get a decent meal and drink there for the price of a drink alone in the terminal.

EDDS - Stuttgart

@boscomantico : I don’t know which handling agent to use. I just start to look into this. Not much info on the homepage.

250€ sounds expensive…

Johan M
ESTT, ESMS

What did you expect? It’s a European capital…

According to reports, “GA handling Prague” is the cheapest at LKPR. Someone here reported having paid 120€, all-in. With these big airports, one shouldn’t just fly in and then see whose bus turns up. That will end in big eyes…some prior due dilligence is recommended.

Otherwise, as I said, during the week, Vodochody (LKVO) is fine. 35€ landing and one night parking, 25€ for the taxi to the city. See here. It’s a PPR airport, without fixed opening hours, but they are there to accomodate you Mondays to Fridays, 8-16 at the least (but your plan sounds like you will arrive later). Check with [email protected].

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I vaguely recall @vieke paid less than most

What happened to me, at least twice, is that I got a written quote and when presented with a much bigger bill then just shrugged their shoulders and said that that’s just the way it is, and since I was on my way out to the plane, flight plan filed, and not willing to make a huge stink, I paid up.

The price they are paying is that the vast apron is virtually empty. Last time there was just on SR22, apart from me. When I first flew there in the TB20 in 2005, it was about €50 and they had loads of GA. This is really bad management because virtually all their costs are fixed so every €50 (an amount which IMHO most would pay) would go straight to their bottom line.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m totally new handling… Do I have to book it in advance? (Sorry for stupid questions…)

Johan M
ESTT, ESMS
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message