Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The best summer ever for flying?

My memory goes only back to 2001, and I would say 2003 was the best. I did a trip from the UK to S. Spain and the QNH was 1013 all the way down

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I got my PPL in 5 months during 2003. I only lost two lessons due to weather!

Forever learning
EGTB

Probably the best from my memory, and in the UK with the recent easterly weather it has still been positive temperatures at FL100. though I am sure that will soon drastically change and it will be snowing.

2009 VFR from ESMI to Prague -> Hungary Sarmellek -> Zagreb -> Pisa -> Cannes -> Lyon -> Kassel -> ESMI. Blue skies almost the whole trip, simply amazing.

Ah well, pick any year (yawn)... Could do with a bit of rain though.. Reminds me to check the shelf life of my unused TKS anti-ice fluid. Sorry, girl from Staverton and all the boys out there..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

2003 i flew to Crete... and the same year I flew through all of Morocco, which I plan to do again!

I got my PPL in 5 months during 2003. I only lost two lessons due to weather!

I got my PPL in 4 months May-Aug 2011 and didn't lose a single lesson due to weather. I am one lucky sod.

EGLM & EGTN

I got my PPL in 4 months May-Aug 2011 and didn't lose a single lesson due to weather. I am one lucky sod.

I think you were very lucky, I think I took longer than that doing my IMCr !. And that's a situation where you would think you wouldn't lose out to the weather at all :-( I guess strong winds or icing issues were my nemesis doing it late in the year. Also coupled with a lack of flexibility due to full time work.

The best summers I had for flying were all the ones when I lived in Texas!

This summer has probably been the best over here, but due to a major project I've just not got to do any trips.

Andreas IOM
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message