Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

T&G at Amsterdam-Schiphol (EHAM) and a day trip to Texel (EHTX)

Almost all major airports in Europe are or have become off-limits for normal GA and therefore almost impossible to get into your logbook. Big names like London-Heathrow (EGLL), Paris-Charles de Gaulle (LFPG), Frankfurt (EDDF) or Madrid-Barajas (LEMD) are inaccessible and/or have extraordinary high fees. Amsterdam-Schiphol (EHAM), the busiest airport in Europe based on movements (not passenger wise, which is Heathrow), is actually not really an exception to that rule. A simple full-stop landing with mandatory handling starts currently from 350 euros. But already before Corona changed our world, I’ve read some wild stories of Dutch pilots doing free touch & go’s at EHAM back in 2018/2019, but never saw any evidence this being really “free of charge”. As Corona brought commercial aviation almost towards a complete stop in March 2020, I read another story of someone doing these free touch & go’s at EHAM, so I contacted him and not so much later LVNL (Dutch ATC company). And indeed, if traffic at EHAM permits, a free touch & go can be arranged. So a few months later, when borders started to open again and commercial aviation was slowly restarting, I planned to give EHAM in June 2020 a try.

Before you can enter the CTR of Schiphol, a pre-request form should be sent to ATC. Because my initial time request would not fit the current traffic volume at Amsterdam (even in June 2020!), ATC suggested another time to come for my T&G, city and control tower orbits. Together with Günter, a fellow member of our interregional aeroclub and owning a Diamond DV20, we headed for a daytrip to Texel (EHTX). As he performed the first flight, I took over the return flight in his airplane to EDLA (Arnsberg) via EHAM.

Texel is btw. a lovely destination for one or a few days. It’s the biggest island in the Wadden Sea and the airfield is located almost in the center of the island. This explains also the downside of Texel, if you like to have a quick bath: The way to the beach is quite far. Too far for walking, but you can rent a Dutch quality bike for a few euros if you like, but then, it still takes about 30 minutes to cycle to the beach at “De Koog”. Another option would be a ride with the bus or local taxi. Landing fee at EHTX was 15€, which is a normal price for the Netherlands.

For the rest, check out the video of the returning flight.

P.S. If you like, all pictures from Günter can be seen here (city) and here (airport)

Last Edited by Frans at 26 Nov 12:46
Switzerland

Awesome!!!

Switzerland
2 Posts
Sign in to add your message