Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Superfluous / incorrect radio phrases

What’s the bet this time?

EGKB Biggin Hill

So “to” is used with altitude but not FL? Who thought of that and why, I wonder? It is instructive to debate why.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

Nobody (except for UK?) ever says it.

I think it’s normal IFR parlance across Europe, isn’t it?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Funnily enough, I just looked up EASA’s interpretation and it’s the worst of all worlds:

I don’t think that can possibly be right, I’ll keep digging

EGKB Biggin Hill

The 2007 ICAO manual (fourth edition) still has Descend to 2000ft. Is there a more recent one?

EGKB Biggin Hill

AMC1 SERA.14001

Guillaume wrote:

AMC1 SERA.14001

But didn’t ICAO change as well?

EGKB Biggin Hill

I’m not sure when / if ICAO changed at some point.
Since most of us are flying in Europe, that’s SERA Part-C phraseoly we should use.
Per AMC, we shall use “altitude” or “flight level” between the “climb to” and the number/level so that there is no ambiguity.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 01 May 20:40

Whatever it says in the rules, to and for is stupid/dangerous. Unless it’s “yay we got ‘em on the fishfinder” (which is funny tbh) I much prefer the US “style”, it’s clear, quick and efficient, and they know a bit about flying over there. Sure, it’s because english is the native language. ICAO phraseology is for china, and while you talk standard phrases there isn’t much communication. I recall a tempered british voice transmitting “blind” in shanghai one morning after multiple f-ups during taxi: “if you don’t get your act together there will be a serious accident soon” (non profanity version for forum). I’m not blaming the colleagues from china (and other asian countries) atc, they do a good job in the system they work in…

always learning
LO__, Austria

Guillaume wrote:

we shall use

Isn’t there also a new substitute for “shall” nowadays?

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message