Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sucker born every minute - stepping up to an old turbine.

Thanks guys. Wish us luck.

172driver – no low wings for me!

Silvaire – yes the tax bill is a pain in the rear. Only way to get out of it is to base the plane outside the state for the first 180 days. Don’t think I can do that, so I’ll have to take it in the rec*um and smile.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 14 Nov 09:11

Bet you are in a Citation before Peter is in a Jetprop.

Congratulations on returning to the Commander type, and going turbine.

I expect your Turbo Commander will match a Slotation on most sectors, and beat it on range/payload/airport flexibility.

Your operating cost is not far off that of a 140-160 KTAS piston twin in Europe.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

No barrel rolls, Adam! For the first six months no Bob Hoover videos :-)

172driver – no low wings for me!

Ah, then this is what you need as a step-up. Can land anywhere !

Have fun Adam, I’m sure you will find the turbine aircraft far superior for the long flights you do.

I expect your Turbo Commander will match a Slotation on most sectors, and beat it on range/payload/airport flexibility.

Your operating cost is not far off that of a 140-160 KTAS piston twin in Europe.

Having operated Citations and King Airs in our business I think RobertL18c is getting a bit over fulsome with his comments. I am sure Adam knows exactly what he is getting into and what it will cost for his operation, and I add my congratulations to those posted earlier. Balls of Steel!

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Jet A1 is rather cheap in Europe, but I have heard unless you have an AOC they add tax on it, right? Is there a way around that?

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 14 Nov 16:36

Not really, if your flight is not for business. However, prices vary hugely throughout Europe. Others would know better, but Inwould say it goes from lows of about 1 Euro (mostly Eastern Europe) to a high of 2.20 Euros (Germany). Most are in between.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

In Europe, avtur is duty free at the pump, and there is no duty to pay except in the UK which runs a self declaration scheme whereby you are supposed to declare fuel bought for private flights and you pay the duty yourself (yes you can make the obvious comment).

Avgas is different… duty is always added unless you find some unusual place (Belgrade, with its €1/litre avgas, must be one of them). The only way to get duty not added at the pump is to show the pump man an AOC. Again, the UK is different in that you always pay the duty (at GA airports) and if you have an AOC you can claim it back afterwards.

VAT is done differently and normally you do pay VAT but you can claim it back yourself if you are a VAT registered individual or corporate body. But often it isn’t as simple as that. Some UK airports don’t charge VAT if you are departing abroad (something I don’t understand the HMRC basis for).

There used to be very useful variations on this but not so many these days. In Spain, if you waved an AIR BP card with a company name on it under the pump man’s nose, and said “commercial” 3 times in a John Cleese voice, you got it duty and VAT free, but that trick hasn’t worked for years. It continued to work in Barcelona if you wore a pilot uniform but that’s now finished too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In Europe, avtur is duty free at the pump, and there is no duty to pay

Only if you fly on an AOC which Adam is not. In Germany he will pay about 2€/l at the pump. In some constellations, you get it tax free if you leave the country, sometimes legally, sometimes illegally.

Seems like Adam has now finally found the mother of all gas guzzlers and maintenance nightmares — second only to his previous aircraft

Congratulations Adam. Great to see you living a dream, and no doubt you can afford it.

Thanks guys. Wish us luck.

Well, Jojo, I don’t know whether this is your dream come true, but it looks as if you are now officially ‘one of the guys’. Or did I miss you doing a transgender operation? Certainly hope you did not do that

Last Edited by aart at 14 Nov 17:53
Private field, Mallorca, Spain
Sign in to add your message