Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Home Simulator

For vfr stuff of course msfs is great, and when played with small easy planes (xcub, dr400, cap10 may be), it’s nice, even mountain training apart from the fact game stops when you touch too hard.
But for my use, it’s really annoying past the first landscape effect. Either you play online with friend and it has value added, or you like complex planes for training or learning turboprops, jets, and it’s crap. Even 3rd party plane I’ll always be better on other simulator.
I bought torquesim sr22, airfoilabs tbm900 and kingair350 on xplane and they are “SIM level”, meaning that they they can be use to train. Some school’s in FAA land obtained approval on their SIM with such SW.

LFMD, France

LeSving wrote:

So training VFR means hooking up Sky Demon to X-Plane Seriously

Correct for real world flying. But you need to pass the bloody skill tests and in the UK they expect you to dead reckon your way around a minefield of controlled airspaces, gliding sites, uncontrolled airfields etc. (while the examiner is peeking at his phone which is obviously running SkyDemon…).

I used X-Plane 11 in Spain and the UK. Spain is covered with wonderful photoscenery and mesh from SpainUHD (free), and the UK is covered with Orbx. Both give a very authentic feel to VFR flying. I can practice my dead reckoning and prepare for the CPL skills test using this setup.

EDDW, Germany

Has anyone ever tried to train for aerobatics using X-Plane? What would you say? Is that of any help?

EDLE, Netherlands

AeroPlus wrote:

Has anyone ever tried to train for aerobatics using X-Plane? What would you say? Is that of any help?

I haven’t specifically tried to train for aerobatics, but my impression is that it would not be of any meaningful help. Aerobatics is all about managing the impact of Gs on your body, knowing how to breath in and out etc. It’s much more physical than normal flying and hence can’t be practiced in a simulator. Also you need to look around with your head quite a lot which is inconvenient in a home sim.

Apart from that, X-Plane’s flight model is not great outside of the normal flying envelope. At least for the aircraft I have tried. The stalling behaviour of a Piper Arrow is nothing like that of the real aircraft, it seems too unstable, too quick to drop a wing. Sustaining a fully developped stall in the “mushy descent” doesn’t seem possible in XP while possible in real life.

EDDW, Germany

Alpha_Floor wrote:

Aerobatics is all about managing the impact of Gs on your body, knowing how to breath in and out etc. It’s much more physical than normal flying and hence can’t be practiced in a simulator.

This is complete nonsense IMO. G forces are important, to some extent, but it is very far from “all about that”. What is good with a sim is to practice sequences and timings. I’m not an aerobatic champion, but I do fly a bit of aerobatics, and a good sim is a good tool. Sequences, timing (in every detail) and practicing each maneuver is what it’s “all about”. The Yak-52 in DCS is a good one, but there are other sims. A high FPS is necessary, and a good “head operated” view system is necessary. X-Plane could be just fine I guess, but I haven’t yet bothered to figure out how to get trackir properly set up. Tried once, but it was a dizzy experience, useless IMO. Maybe it is better with this Vulkan graphics.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

This is complete nonsense IMO.

That’s just my way of speaking. No need to overreact.

I have done aerobatics and know something about it. Obviously the timings and sequences are very important, but managing the physical aspects is important also and this can’t be trained in a simulator.

Sure you can practice your timings and sequences but arguably you can do that sitting on a chair holding two bananas for stick and throttle, no need for a sim…

EDDW, Germany

Patrouille de France does exactly that – minus the bananas.

T28
Switzerland

I think all competition aerobatics pilots do it minus bananas and often wandering around between parked aircraft just before a flight. Its amusing to watch but I wouldn’t say that out loud :)

France

AeroPlus wrote:

Just in FSX with VR headsets, useful to keep speed/horizon scan going with planned entry/exit but it’s highly disortientating than the real thing, 30min and I start having problem finding my bathroom

Will try on X-Plane with force feedback Stick & VR

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

T28 wrote:

Patrouille de France does exactly that – minus the bananas.

Yeah, the bananas was a bit for comedic effect xD

I had an instructor once who made me practice coordinated turns sitting on a chair and holding a plate.

EDDW, Germany
Sign in to add your message