Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Home Simulator

I wonder if the sickness is caused by certain maneuvers only? I did a few rolls

It did last for the rest of the evening – a good number of hours. Not pleasant.

The HP Reverb G2 costs the best part of 1k.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The sickness is mostly caused because of the framerate. When your head moves, it expects the image to change instantly. If there is a slight delay, you will feel sick.

ESME, ESMS

Microsoft Flight Simulator

I am about to order a new PC so I thought I might as well get one suitable for MSFS. Do any of the simmers here have a recommendation for a good configuration?

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Check https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/863-microsoft-flight-simulator-2020/ and ask a question there (or any other sim forum).

My experience with FSX (the old version) is:
- Buy the most powerful machine you can afford
- Buy the best graphics card you can afford but only one – FSX (or even X-Plane) did not support dual card mode, so having two did not bring anything. Note: this might be different with the new Flight Simulator, so talk to the forum guys first
- Buy the most powerful CPU you can afford – weather calculations, traffic, etc. put such a burden on the CPU that it might be more important than graphics
- If you want to run more than one screen, you either need an out-of-this-world graphics card, or multiple computers. Running multiple computers comes with its own challenges, though
- If you want to run more than one screen, it is not easy to arrange them in a way that they look synchronized the whole time. E.g. during turns the side windows show a picture that is not what you would expect in terms of tilting, etc. However, I am not sure there is a cure for that except having a huge room and running several projectors in it

Last but not least, share your experience – configuring and running a sim is sometimes more challenging than running an actual airplane ;) so we can all profit from shared information.

Last Edited by Vladimir at 03 Dec 12:20
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Are you after IFR fully in clouds above MSA on instruments? or VFR flying close to terrain in rain/snow or between fluffy cumulus?

The latter is more demanding on CPU/GPU ressources (more demanding on pilot as well: low VFR scud runners tend to be smart and sharp than average pilots )

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Vladimir wrote:

Last but not least, share your experience – configuring and running a sim is sometimes more challenging than running an actual airplane ;) so we can all profit from shared information.

Totally agree about the set up and learning curve.

In my limited experience, it is a bad idea in general to go with Apple PC or notebooks if you intend gaming. The games do run but barely. Moreover, you won’t have a chance to upgrade the hardware in future unless you spend a fortune.

EDMB, Germany

Arun wrote:

Moreover, you won’t have a chance to upgrade the hardware in future unless you spend a fortune.

My experience shows that this is not a relevant point. The moment you reach a point where you can afford an upgrade, it does not really exist or make sense anymore. For example, I had a CPU which, even though one of the best at the time of purchase, was not powerful enough (by the way, the Microsoft developers obviously develop this thing on CPUs from the year 2050 so that they can run it at least at 50% settings). So I wanted to upgrade the CPU – desktop machine, so no issues, right? Well, wrong. To change the CPU with a meaningful one, I had to also change the motherboard and the RAM as the ones I had were already outdated (2 years after purchase). Also going to the newest SSD format made sense, when reinstalling everything anyway. So I could keep the power supply, the case and the keyboard – not really a case for the upgrade argument.

Last Edited by Vladimir at 03 Dec 12:47
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

I couldn’t be bothered to build my own SIM PC, so I went for a ready available HP Omen GT12-1635nd.
It has intel Core i9 processor, 32GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080.
MS Flight Sim works very well with that configuration.
The bottleneck is the internet connection, if it’s slow it will take forever to get the (frequent) mandatory updates (easily 30 GB updates).
Also, what really makes a difference in the experience is the additional hardware (yokes, throttles, rudder pedals). Using the keyboard (even for partial tasks) is not good.

EHLE LIMB, Netherlands

Vladimir wrote:

- Buy the most powerful machine you can afford
- Buy the best graphics card you can afford

That is still true.

Vladimir wrote:

this might be different with the new Flight Simulator,

Quite a bit is very different with the new sim. The primary difference is that the scenery is mostly streamed, so one bit you have to consider is that you need quite a good internet connection. As the new sim streams most of the stuff down while you are flying and also because updates are in the TB size

The best thing is to genuinely talk to someone who knows the sim inside out and order a machine which fits your needs. In the fora people tend to go overboard on “requirements” and their magical rituals to squeeze the holy grail of framerate out of any machine. I read through this and actually calculated machines which they came up with, getting high performance devices which cost in the region of 4-5k €. Which is total bolloks of course. So the fora may be useful but also more confusing than to talk to someone experienced who actually uses the sim. I hope to have my first exposure to it next weekend in Hergiswil, but will see.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

NicoKM wrote:

HP Omen GT12-1635nd.
It has intel Core i9 processor, 32GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080.

that looks pretty nice indeed.

Acer also has got some of their gamer PC’s which might well do a good job. Actually, MS somewhere did publish some hardware specs.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message