Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Home Simulator

I found X-Plane’s default GNS since v10.30 to be quite satisfactory during my instrument training. It will update using Navigraph and does an OK job for instrument approaches. I hear in XP11 it can also do SID and STAR.

LFPL, France

Ultranomad wrote:

I tried to find a GNS 430 module for any flight simulator that would properly emulate instrument procedures AND be updateable (e.g. from Navigraph)

What did you think about the RealityXP (FSX) we are talking about in this thread? The only limit may be its updates (which in fact are related to the Garmin Trainer itself) but there are workarounds.

France

Ultranomad wrote:

A few months ago, I tried to find a GNS 430 module for any flight simulator that would properly emulate instrument procedures AND be updateable (e.g. from Navigraph). My search turned up nothing. Does anyone know anything?

Yes, as already discussed above. Reality XP runs the actual Garmin code so it is a 100% precise replication of the real thing (simulation would not be the right word), and you can drop the latest cycle files in there every month.

There’s a new version coming out soon with 64-bit support (and support for XP11).

Last Edited by stevelup at 30 Dec 09:00

I have been flying Flight Simulators in parallel with my GA flying for the last 25+ years.
Back then Microsoft was the only option.
Nowadays I fly with Lockheed Martin’s Prepar3D which is the evolution of Microsoft FS in an improved and more stable version.

If I was starting from scratch maybe I would investigate on investing in XPlane but I am too old (flightsimmer) for that !

P3D (as was MSFS) is the base on which you invest with software and hardware add on’s to increase your immersion factor.
Your budget is the limit.
There are countless commercial and General aviation add on’s.
A free option for increasing the immersion factor is flying on line with live (real) pilots and ATC around you on VATSIM network. I do this all the time because I do not like Artificial Intelligence traffic & ATC !

Regarding Garmins, RealityXP used to be the leader in add on’s but Flight1 has caught up.
See the demo. video to see how realistic it gets.
Even if its not up to latest AIRAC (since it used GARMIN’s trainer software) its database is still not too old for training on procedures.

Regarding the actual (FSX/P3D) simulator’s NAV database and magnetic declination (variation) updates there is this guy who does it all for free.
NAV’s : https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html
MagVar: https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html

A good portal to watch/read (forum etc.) for FS stuff is http://www.avsim.com

And here are some screenshots from the flight deck while executing IFR procedures ;-)

PMDG Boeing B738 over the Adriatic sea

Majestic Dash Q400 in Nice (LFMN) France

Carenado Cessna Citation C550 in London City

Digital Aviation PA31T departing Munich in my (virtual equivalent of) IFR rating flying test live on VATSIM

LGMG Megara, Greece

stevelup wrote:

and you can drop the latest cycle files in there every month

Are you sure and if you are, could you give me a hint how to do that?

As yet, I had to follow the Garmin Trainer (GTN 620) updates and use some copy-paste work to get the files into the simulator. Thus, this Trainer (the specific GNS430 is no more updated) only updates approximately every 6 month. Currently, my latest AIRAC is 1607.

My knowledge is closer to this statement:

petakas wrote:

Even if its not up to latest AIRAC (since it used GARMIN’s trainer software) its database is still not too old for training on procedures.

Last Edited by Flyamax at 30 Dec 12:40
France

Yes, quite sure – I do it every cycle!

If you have a Jepp subscription and use JSUM, open this folder:- C:\ProgramData\Jeppesen\jsum\Cache and find the latest ‘.bin’ file.

Open that file using an ISO browsing tool such as MagicISO, and in there you’ll find a file named avtn_db.bin – copy that to your desktop and then rename it as ‘worldwide.bin’

Drop that file in the Garmin trainer folder overwriting the old one (or rename the old one first). You are now on the latest cycle.

If you don’t have a Jepp subscription, a bit of googling will yield an up-to-date worldwide.bin file.

Great!

France

When playing with these sims ages ago, i always found it hard to set up an accurate “weather at minimums” – in particular cloud base. Is that better these days? Which of these is best giving a realistic “the runway is over there???” Impression?

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

Is that better these days? Which of these is best giving a realistic “the runway is over there???” Impression?

You should take a look over here :
Link

IMO weather engines have improved really a lot.

France

It certainly looks beautiful…

But what I am after is the realistic experience of cloud base and visibility when breaking out. It was all too optimistic last time that I played around with FS (visiblity ok, but cloudbase rubbish) and X-Plane (both not very good – could see far too much(

Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message