Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Touch&Go circuits

ArcticChiller wrote:

That’s especially good to know for skydive and glider towing pilots

The way we do it (glider towing), is simply to use the engine time for hours in the log books, then also write down the number of “flights” (take off and landings). For the aircraft time we simply add together the approximate flight time, or we would have services way too often.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

dublinpilot wrote:

Certainly when I did some landings, taxi back and take off again, I logged them as one continuous flight with multiple landings.

I agree with that interpretation. There is no reason why “taxi back” should be treated any differently from taxing to/from the parking spot. It’s all block time.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Doesn’t that depend on whether you are talking about aircraft logbooks or pilot logbooks.

My understanding of aircraft logbooks is that they are indeed airborne time.

But pilot log books are different. For those a flight is the time between when you first move for the purpose of taking off and when the aircraft last comes to rest after landing. I would see that as any intermediate take offs and landings wouldn’t trigger new flights.

Certainly when I did some landings, taxi back and take off again, I logged them as one continuous flight with multiple landings.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I usually just deduct a couple of minutes per backtrack.

ESSZ, Sweden

Sure, but you overstate the flight time if you also count the ground time in between. At least in German Bordbüchern, the logging of only the airborne time is standard.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Part-NCO allows a single entry for a series of flights (also for the pilot’s logbook). That’s especially good to know for skydive and glider towing pilots:

NCO.GEN.150 Journey log
Regulation (EU) No 800/2013
Particulars of the aircraft, its crew and each journey shall be retained for each flight, or series of flights, in the form of a journey log, or equivalent

It is always required in Europe. It isn’t required for American airplanes that fly only domestically, within the United States.

Last Edited by ArcticChiller at 31 May 10:27

I don’t want to take this thread off-topic (because once it starts it is hard to stop) but somewhere here it’s been stated (by an EASA insider) that EASA does not expect a journey log to be completed for flights in the same country. Maybe Germany has additional requirements…

Also I now recall that night T&Gs have often not been done because the remaining runway distance is hard to judge.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Actually, I partly wrote bollox. For the pilot log, it doesn’t make any difference. As it is all „flight time“, it‘s logged the same way. It‘s only in the journey log / Bordbuch where it‘s a mess. 10 landing and taxi backs, 10 entries…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 19 May 19:29
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I have always believed in focusing on doing a correct landing.

The often taught principle is that you plan every landing to be a go-around, and land only if everything works out right, is a kind of “defeatist” approach because you are led to assume that you will mess up to landing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

One minor point is that if you do a series of landings and taxi backs here in Europe is that it is a nightmare to record (in the journey log AND the pilots’ logbooks….)

My understanding ATC in controlled airfields puts it on a different strip and treat it as new flight (e.g. new transponder, flight plan, clearance, handover to ground …), I don’t know about PIC practices? (likely irrelevant on uncontrolled places)? for myself, as long as I don’t put fuel, stop on apron to disembark pax there is no need to log it as separate flight

The problem with full stop landing is you have to backtrack in the typical un-towered airports with one taxiway in the middle…

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 May 19:21
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message