Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Converting BIR to CB-IR

Hello to everyone,

I’m gonna to start my post saying sorry if i will ask something already explained. somewhere here in the forum.
My intention is to add an IFR rating to my PPL licence. The best way will be to study for ATPL/CPL Theory and undergo an IR training (I have already done the Basic Instrument module of 10 hrs.) I also (with other 15 hrs) will have the opportunity to have a CPL/IR in the pocket.Unfortunately I have no time to study for 1-1,5 year all the subject and also my intention is not to be an Airline Pilot.
My local Flight school provide Full IR and BIR (Not CB-IR). As far as i have understood, TK for BIR is the same that for CB-IR (much “lighter” than FUll IFR)
Due to both BIR and CB-IR are “competence based” training, my question is..if in the future i wanto to a full IFR via CB-IR Training, the Theory will be valid?
Part or all the Flight training will be in some way validated in the CB-IR process?
Thanks in advance to everyone who can try to help me in understood!

Ciaoooo

Last Edited by Pino at 04 Nov 23:14
Italy

Pino wrote:

Full IR and BIR (Not CB-IR).

The CB-IR is a “full IR”. It is only a different training route to the IR. The privileges you get are exactly the same as with the “regular” IR training. The only difference is that the CB-IR TK lacks some high performance material, which means that if you later go for a HPA endorsement you will need to do some additional ground school if you want to use the IR with a High Performance aircraft. But if you take the ATPL theory then that material is already included and there will be no difference whatsoever between the old IR and the CB-IR.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Pino wrote:

Due to both BIR and CB-IR are “competence based” training, my question is..if in the future i wanto to a full IFR via CB-IR Training, the Theory will be valid?

Pino, your BIR is going to be valid for your conversion to CB-IR.
After you’ve obtained your BIR, you either need to:
- get 10hrs at ATO and pass a CB-IR skills test OR
- get 50hrs PIC XC under IFR (not IMC, just IFR) and then pass the skills test.

EGTR
LKLT, LIMG, Italy

Just bear in mind, that depending on your Competent Authority the theory package can be ‘cut-down’ or not ‘cut-down’
When I did mine in the UK, we were selecting CBIR for exams but the question bank really hadn’t been propery modified. To answer enough questions to pass tje exams you needed the full knowledge pack.
(I was answering questions on Boeing avionics, fuel systems, etc.)
I believe it has been improving and that in other countries it was/is much better.
For me, looking back I should have done the ATPL.
Maybe ask around a bit to establish the situation where you are.

United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

Pino, your BIR is going to be valid for your conversion to CB-IR.
After you’ve obtained your BIR, you either need to:
- get 10hrs at ATO and pass a CB-IR skills test OR
- get 50hrs PIC XC under IFR (not IMC, just IFR) and then pass the skills test.

Just for reference, the 50 hours IFR PIC route is specified in Part-FCL appendix 6, paragraph 10

Applicants for the competency-based modular IR who hold a BIR and have experience of at least 50 hours of flight time under IFR as PIC on aeroplanes, shall:
(a) at an ATO:
(i) be assessed as having an acceptable standard of competency-based instrument rating theoretical knowledge;
(ii) receive appropriate flight training to extend IFR privileges in accordance with FCL.605.IR;
(b) after completion of (a);
(i) successfully complete the skill test for the IR in accordance with Appendix 7;
(ii) demonstrate orally to the examiner during the skill test that they have acquired an adequate level of theoretical knowledge of air law, meteorology, and flight planning and performance.

No reference of cross-country. It is just 50 hours as PIC under IFR.

LFOU, France

This is also an interesting angle.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message