Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

NPPL vs LAPL - medicals

Hi

I posted here a few weeks ago about my quest to get a medical. Sadly I’ve not had much luck as life has been busy, but regardless…

I did have a question: I was looking at getting a CAA Part-FCL LAPL medical so I could get a LAPL license from the CAA, to fly C152’s (for example) in the UK, however someone in my last thread suggested the NPPL + SSEA instead. It looks very similar (same aircraft I can fly, same restrictions as a LAPL) and instead of needing a medical I can just do a self declaration without previously holding a medical?

Would be great if someone can confirm if I’m correct or not, and if I’m missing something? Gets very confusing I think!

Thanks

Toby

EGKR, United Kingdom

Hi at the minute, you can only train ab initio for a NPPL on a non Part 21 aircraft (eg a permit one like a Jodel), not on a Part 21 type like a Cessna or PA28 because the solo aspects of the training are not permitted on a Part 21 type. I believe this difference is currently being looked at as part of the expected CAA post brexit licensing simplification consultation that was supposed to be out in August.

Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

you can only train ab initio for a NPPL on a non Part 21 aircraft (eg a permit one like a Jodel), not on a Part 21 type like a Cessna or PA28 because the solo aspects of the training are not permitted on a Part 21 type

That’s unbelievable… who in the CAA let that cockup get through?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is a work round for those who can hold a Pilot Medical Declaration and who want to fly a Part 21 aircraft.

You train for NPPL(microlight) as you are allowed to solo such an aircraft as a student on a PMD.

Once you have obtained that license you then add an SSEA rating to it. As there is no solo requirement to add the rating.

Then once the NPPL is issued with an SSEA rating you can fly PIC on a Part 21 aircraft.

Bonkers I know but I know quite a few people who have done this route as its very cost effective.

Last Edited by Bathman at 03 Oct 07:14

Hmm, confusing! So basically, can’t fly a part 21 aircraft via an NPPL when starting training.

Regardless I’ll see what my LAPL medical brings over the coming weeks (or hopefully days) as that’s been going for months now

Toby

EGKR, United Kingdom

So I spoke to someone from LAA, they seem to disagree… Seems I can apparently fly on a PMD for an NPPL with a Part-21 a/c solo… Hmm

No news on the medical from the AME yet

EGKR, United Kingdom

I am sure you can fly a certified plane on the NPPL + PMD.

This has varied so many times over the past few years but AFAIK that is the current position.

The Q is whether you can train that way. The suggestion is that you can’t. I don’t know…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Quoting from the email I got;

“Ab-initio training (for those without a licence already) can really only be carried out in Part-21 (EASA) aeroplanes. If the training is for a NPPL then you can legally fly solo with a PMD, but it is possible that the flying school may have their own stricter insurance requirements.”

Hopefully that helps!

EGKR, United Kingdom

Well here’s some news.

New AME, medical scheduled for sometime soon. Turns out I need a psych assessment and I found out about a condition I didn’t know I had (and then found a letter saying it’s fixed), but it looks like (touch wood) I should be okay for a LAPL medical.

EGKR, United Kingdom
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message