Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

English Speaking School in AT, DE, FR

Hi, I’m looking for a good English speaking school in Austria, Germany or France, that allows study at home of PPL Ground School (or at least most of it), and that’s within several hours away by car from Zurich.

Thanks in advance.

France

What exactly are you trying to achieve? I know someone in Innsbruck who may be able to help you.

There is no mandatory ground school in the EASA PPL. You can study anywhere and then just sit the exams.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

There is no mandatory ground school in the EASA PPL. You can study anywhere and then just sit the exams.

Yes there is. You have to take the ground school at a ATO or DTO and the school has to give you approval to sit the exams. This is not a new regulation either – it has “always” been like that

FCL.210 Training course
(a) Applicants for a PPL shall complete a training course at an ATO or a DTO.
(b) The course shall include theoretical knowledge and flight instruction appropriate to the privileges of the PPL applied for

AMC1 FCL.210 FCL.215 Training course and theoretical knowledge examination
[….]
The DTO or the ATO responsible for the training should check if all the appropriate elements of the training course of theoretical knowledge instruction have been completed to a satisfactory standard before recommending the applicant for the examination.
[….]

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 13 Sep 11:32
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Bugger… Better keep that quiet or the UK might get all its PPL papers cancelled by Brussels

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Bristol Groundshool does an online UK/EASA approved PPL theory course for 180 GBP. https://www.bristol.gs/private-pilots-licence-ppla/

London, United Kingdom

There is no mandatory classrooms nor min hours for PPL TK, all you need is ATO responsible sign-off (FI is not enough unless he is also DTO boss), ‘HoT: are you ready? yes I did read Trevor Thom, ok go and sit the exams, it’s 20 pounds each’

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Sep 13:51
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

What exactly are you trying to achieve? I know someone in Innsbruck who may be able to help you.

To be able to sit all 9 EASA PPL Exams somewhere within reasonable driving distance from where I live.

Qalupalik wrote:

Bristol Groundshool does an online UK/EASA approved PPL theory course for 180 GBP.

Thank you, will drop them an email.

Airborne_Again wrote:

Peter wrote:
Yes there is. You have to take the ground school at a ATO or DTO and the school has to give you approval to sit the exams. This is not a new regulation either – it has “always” been like that

I can confirm that in my case I’m ready to take exams but I still need ATO or DTO approval before you can sit exams at a school.
It’s the reason why I’m looking for a school with English curriculum close to where I live.

Ibra wrote:

There is no mandatory classrooms nor min hours for PPL TK, all you need is ATO responsible sign-off (FI is not enough unless he is also DTO boss), ‘HoT: are you ready? yes I did read Trevor Thom, ok go and sit the exams, it’s 20 pounds each’

Does this guy exist and does EASA PPL Exams? Asking for a friend that might want to contact him.

Last Edited by La_Baguette at 13 Sep 14:05
France

Ibra wrote:

There is no mandatory classrooms nor min hours for PPL TK, all you need is ATO responsible sign-off

That’s right as far as it goes, but the ATO/DTO has to present a study plan for the PPL TK to their national CAA for approval (ATO) or non-objection (DTO). Then the school must document that students follow the study plan and the national CAA will (well, should) check this when they do an inspection of the school.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

It should be part of ATO approval (or DTO declaration), the fact that they are allowed to train PPL means they have one? are you referring to PART-ORA, Part3 ‘training manual’? that is always available for the students to read

If you are referring to ‘study materials’, it’s ‘Trevor Thom Books’…anyway, once you have E6B, DC/A20 headsets, RayBans, leather jacket you can sit PPL exams

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Sep 14:55
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message