Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADHD query for a LAPL

Was sent here from r/flying on Reddit as that’s mostly USA.

I have autism (never had meds, not Asperger’s though), ADHD (never had meds) and Tourette’s (had meds for 2 years, last took 6 years ago) and I’m trying to get a LAPL (would do class 2 but eyes just about aren’t good enough). Does anyone have any experience with this/any luck with getting a medical to fly solo with ADHD, ASD and Tourette’s?

Thanks

Toby

EGKR, United Kingdom

No experience, but you really need to talk to an AME of course if you not have already done so. I suppose he would like to know how the symptoms manifest themselves in a demanding activity like flying. If your Tourette involves expleting involuntary words, that may be a problem of course.

Wish you the best of luck, and keep us posted!

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Tourette’s were more an issue with throat clearing (like a cough) but not the case anymore, completely vanished a few years ago with a letter confirming I’m off meds and they closed my case or whatever it’s called

Yea I spoke with my AME, he’s looking through my records and seems to think I’ll need a very basic consultation with a psychiatrist, was more wondering if anyone’s had similar experiences and has been successful

Realistically when I get adhd & Tourette’s sorted, should be okay. Unless there’s something I dont know about (doubtful). As I cleared everything in the actual exam.

Thank you :)

Last Edited by Toby at 03 Sep 17:01
EGKR, United Kingdom

Toby wrote:

Yea I spoke with my AME, he’s looking through my records and seems to think I’ll need a very basic consultation with a psychiatrist, was more wondering if anyone’s had similar experiences and has been successful

The regulations require a consultation with a psychiatrist in this case.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yeah; was more wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience/the specifics of it. Thanks :)

EGKR, United Kingdom

Hopefully anyway, once this is done I’ll have a medical certificate issued. Just worried it might disqualify me and wondering if anyone has a similar experience, however the lack of meds should play in my favour hopefully.

Last Edited by Toby at 03 Sep 17:14
EGKR, United Kingdom

Welcome to EuroGA, Toby

One issue with this kind of thing is that, in Europe, it is “by regulation” impossible to “ask an AME” in confidence. He/she is an agent of the CAA, with no duty of confidentiality to you, and is required to file a report to the CAA on the conversation. Of course he might not do so, but is then taking a risk. That can cause you all kinds of trouble. In the FAA system you can just ask (not of a Europe-based FAA AME though). See here.

We have a number of AMEs here but they tend to post zero, presumably because they know the CAA has plenty of time and reads social media comprehensively

If this was me, I would approach this via an AME who is going to fight your case. Most won’t because they want an easy life with the CAA.

How you find one of those I don’t know but I have known AMEs who washed their hands of a client at the first sign of a health issue… leaving the client with a double problem (the health issue, and having to find a new AME which always draws suspicion (which is why most pilots see the same AME until he is 6ft under and decomposing) not to mention extra work for the new AME, who is also trying to cover his back). Perhaps approach it like if looking for a defence solicitor (many years ago I was advised to get a Jewish female – will fight the establishment, and cannot be a freemason) or a divorce lawyer (get an older male – most female ones are bitter divorced man-haters, and most of the young men are pro-women’s-rights man-haters). Tongue in cheek but you get the idea. I would pick an AME who is not ex RAF, because there is an ex air force “club” inside every CAA; almost as good as a masonic lodge. And definitely somebody older.

If you need to get reports, ask the consultant directly if he does CAA work and how often. A lot of them talk the talk but will leave you hanging when you actually need a report done by Date X. There is key expertise in knowing how to frame the report. A good AME will be able to recommend a consultant; if he has no idea then get another AME.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hey

Yeah I’ve had a recommendation for the psychiatrist and I previously had one for my eyes from him too and my eyes worked out amazing. So I’m pretty high hopes for this one too, I trust his recommendations so far.

Thanks, you make some very good points. I’ll keep the confidentiality point in mind too!

AME is being very supportive too

Thank you:)

Toby

EGKR, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

having to find a new AME which always draws suspicion

What happens in your experience? I’ve changed AME twice and never had any questions asked.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I’ve got a feeling mine will come up for retiring soon so I’d have to switch as the LAPL has 5 year expiry I think

I doubt anyone would ask questions about that.

And I think I picked a good AME :) incredibly thorough, just very very busy so is taking some time

I’ll update once I hear back from my AME after he’s looked at my records. (Maybe a week, maybe 2, shouldn’t be too long now)

Then I’ve asked him for a final list of all appointments/referrals I need. Ideally the psychiatrist is the final one. If there’s something else I’ll be very surprised.

I’m on the NHS for a heart problem (he’s cleared me for that) and he’s said he’s gonna note on the report to go to the scan the NHS have for me next year. Expecting it to be normal of course.

Hopefully then after that I can get something booked in and then get a certificate issued.

I don’t see how after an initial medical consultation with a psychiatrist they can declare me safe with ADHD. Regardless if he thinks that’s the case then I’m very happy with that.

He had a patient a few weeks back who he sent to the same psychiatrist who then got cleared, he had ADHD too. He now can fly.

Last Edited by Toby at 04 Sep 09:11
EGKR, United Kingdom
46 Posts
Sign in to add your message