Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying N-reg in Europe with EASA license, and FI requirements for IR training in it

Ok, thank you for all your quick feedback.

So well, looks like I have to go to the US to make this FAA 61.75 thing. Any recommendation on which DPE to choose?

Thanks
Lukas

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

@lukepower check your PMs

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Why filing FPL makes any difference? I gather you mean everything after that: flying in weather, entering Class A, getting ATC separation and clearance…
The majority of operation people who file IFR flight plans for schools or airliners don’t even have PPL

Yes, but they don’t fly on N-reg outside the instructor’s SOLI.

FPL might make a difference. With an EASA PPL VFR, Luke can’t act as PIC on an IFR flight, so the instructor has to be PIC. Which means, in an N-reg, the instructor needs IRI quals of the state the training is conducted in. Cross border flying… needs what? EASA + FAA IR instructor ratings?

With an EASA PPL VFR, Luke can act as PIC on a VFR flight and receive IR Instruction by an IRI (perhaps even if SOLI of IRI is from abroad?). At least basic IFR training could be accomplished that way.

@Qalupalik do you have input?

always learning
LO__, Austria

FAA FI (CFI or CFII) is not needed to train towards European papers. Some disinformation has popped up over the years but it is nonsense.

Most ab initio training in an N-reg will not be able to cross borders. It will need to be done in one country. The exception would be if either the candidate or the FI already have FAA papers.

In the UK things are easier due to the widespread IMC Rating, which is valid in an N-reg. But the overall politics of most FTOs not wanting to train in a customer aircraft is same everywhere.

Administrator

With an EASA PPL VFR, Luke can act as PIC on a VFR flight and receive IR Instruction by an IRI

Got it, but that “VFR with hood” can’t be logged as IFR in EASA logbook though?

Cross border flying… needs what? EASA + FAA IR instructor ratings?

Likely so, including CPL and class 1 medical at least on the FAA side…

Last Edited by Ibra at 30 Aug 07:30
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Got it, but that “VFR with hood” can’t be logged as IFR in EASA logbook though?

For IFR training, IFR time is not important – “instrument flight time” is important and that’s a different thing. The AMC to FCL.050 says that you should record in the remarks column of the log book “instrument flight time undertaken as part of the training for a licence or rating”

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Absolutely! In EASA land IFR training can be fully done in VMC on VFR flights.

If it makes sense to do IFR training solely in VMC due to a IRI that is not licensed to do IR flights in that specific airplane is a completely different question.

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

You have to do some flying in controlled airspace on an IFR clearance, don’t you?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Only in the IR test. The other ~50hrs is “training as required”. Especially if you go for the maximum freelance IRI entitlement of 30hrs or whatever.

As has been said, an IR in an N-reg would normally be done within a single country anyway, and the IRT is most definitely possible to arrange in the country which issued the examiner’s papers. That’s how I did my JAA IR in the UK in 2011-2012.

Returning to Lukas’ post above

So, long story short: If I would like, for example, to get some IR training in my N-reg aircraft, putting the time towards my EASA license (and future CB-IR), can I fly with an instructor who has a) only an EASA license, or b) has an EASA license with the addition of a FAA license, or even c) has only a FAA license?

a) yes
b) yes
c) yes if he is never PIC (due to the Brussels “dual papers” rule)

In reality, politics will be the main factor. Most FTOs don’t like training private pilots, especially in their own plane.

Administrator

How do you do instrument approches on VFR flights? especially, in Germany with all Echo, MRVA, STAR and IAF…can you really do that?

I can fly an ILS or LPV in France under VFR then land straight-in on ATC VFR clearance (they ask to watch for traffic, done procedural only with no radar vectors, you stay in circuit after) but I had the impression while it’s accepted on training flights, it’s still an aberration, I doubt it will work with DFS ATC but I will ask next time?

Last Edited by Ibra at 30 Aug 13:39
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message