Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Vacate runway past exit point - when does a turn become a backtrack?

I saw a video of someone landing on a rather large runway at a big controlled field. They passed one of the exits and then turned to use that exit to vacate the runway. Clearly the turn was more than 90 degrees but it was not a complete backtrack either – let’s say angle of the ground track was 150 degrees. Also, the exit was shaped as a large funnel and the plane was probably more or less at the edge of the far end of the funnel connecting with the runway.

There was no ATC communication or any type of clearance for this manoeuvre – just “cleared to land” and then pilot vacated as described above. On the video it looks like a very normal and natural thing to do. It made me wonder what defines a backtrack – is the above legal and appropriate? Especially in situations where ATC asks to “vacate via such and such if able” would it be OK to use it if you need to turn more than 90 degrees?

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

You backtrack runways not on taxiways I think it has to do with rolling against the active runway number rather than +91deg turn for taxiway

After landing you can “vacate” on any “free” taxiway without ATC clearance (not sure on high speed exits?), you can’t “backtrack” or “cross” live runway during taxi without ATC clearance

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Jul 07:19
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Really? I am sure you need ATC instructions post-landing on where to vacate.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The word “backtrack” doesn’t exist in French. We have several phrases depending on what our intentions are or what the ATC instructions are.
So in this case on a French airfield you might be asked to demi (half turn) and vacate via whatever exit it was. Or do a 180°
Yes, I know that International Airports in France where the ATC use the English language will nowadays use the word “backtrack” but that has evolved over the last 20 years or so.
So what I am saying is that perhaps the question as to “when is a backtrack not a backtrack?” depends on country and perhaps even airfield or controller.
I must check is the word “backtrack” in ICAO phraseology.

France

Thanks. I think backtrack is indeed standard phraseology but feel free to correct me if mistaken. In French that would be “remonter la piste”?
I also think that, on a controlled field
1. After landing I can vacate the runway via an exit taxiway ahead of me without additional clearance from ATC, should normally use the first one I see
2. I can not backtrack (reverse course) on the runway without explicit clearance from ATC

If both above are correct, my question is: I’ve landed, see an exit taxiway ahead of me (right angle with the runway, no high speed exit stuff – this is the starting out forum ) and don’t think I can make it. Passing the runway abeam the exit, I now believe I could have made it and still want to turn to use that exit (say with a 150 degree turn, in fact reversing course a bit) instead of going for the next exit. Is that legal / OK without asking permission? And what angle defines the difference between item 1. and 2. above? Is it anything beyond a 90 degree turn? Anything that takes the wheels beyond the centreline marking leading from the runway to the exit (which would be even less than a 90 degree turn)?

Last Edited by Tango at 23 Jul 08:30
EBGB EBKT, Belgium

IMO it depends on ATC and the airfield.
At a controlled airfield on landing and once under control (bad wording) I would announce that. Normally ATC would say something like eg “take the next exit left and taxi via charlie report vacated” or “exit via Delta”
On an AFIS field you tend to have a little more discretion and could say " exiting via Alpha" or “backtracking to exit via Alpha”
On a non towered field you do as you think right and announce what you are doing and just exit.
I don’t think there is any legal definition of this or at least I don’t remember seeing one.

France

Interesting question. I would say that as long as you haven’t passed the exit, you’re not backtracking even if you have to turn >90°.

Backtracking is taxying along the runway in the opposite direction.

OTOH I would not take an exit with more than >90° without instruction or confirmation from ATC as that might well not be what they expect.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

gallois wrote:

The word “backtrack” doesn’t exist in French. We have several phrases depending on what our intentions are or what the ATC instructions are.
So in this case on a French airfield you might be asked to demi (half turn) and vacate via whatever exit it was. Or do a 180°

The word may not exist in French, but there does appear to be a defined terminology using the verb remonter (remontez, je remonte). See pp 156-157:

manuel_phras_C3_A9ologie_pdf

LSZK, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

I am sure you need ATC instructions post-landing on where to vacate

Really? Failing specific instructions, I always assume next “convenient” or “comfortable” exit.

I agree with @Airborne_Again as far as a rule-of-thumb goes. Certainly once the “trailing edge” of the taxiway has been passed, I wouldn’t try to turn back to use it without a backtrack clearance.

The question is a good one, but I don’t think ATC will be trying to measure the number of degrees you turn to make the taxiway….. what looks/feels like a backtrack to them or you likely is one and needs approval. If in doubt, always ask…. that’s the golden rule.

LSZK, Switzerland

I also think its airfield specific- my home airport (EETU) has a 1600m runway with a single exit about in the middle in the runway. The local ATC very-very rarely uses the word “backtrack”, usually they give the clearance “line up 26(or 08)” and assume you do it “via backtrack” . When I departure with my STOL, I always add “able intersection or request takeoff from intersection” . When ATR lands, they usually get “landed xx, vacate via alpha” , again no mention of backtracking.. Regarding the original question- i wouldn’t request extra clearance when I only need to do a more than 90 degree turn without actually moving against runway direction

EETU, Estonia
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message