Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA PPL - distance learning (online) options in EU

Hi there,

I am currently planning to get a PPL license in 2021/2022 in Belgium and as part of the research for a good flight school I was wondering if getting an online distance learning course from an approved ATO might be a good way to go through the ground theory and my own pace.

Unfortunately, I haven’t found so far many online courses, beyond those focused on FAA (MZeroA, Rod Machado, The Finer points, etc.), so here the question: is there anyone who can recommend a good EASA-approved on line course? E.g. what about Civil Aviation Training?

And lastly, would you know if the ATO/DTO where I will complete the PPL training is ‘forced’ to accept the course and cut down the in-class hours, or is it really up to each individual school to decide?

Thank you in advance!

Belgium

Try Orbit – Netherlands based

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

You should probably check if you can do the theoretical part in country A and then do the practical part(and skill test) in country B.

ESSZ, Sweden

Fly310 wrote:

You should probably check if you can do the theoretical part in country A and then do the practical part(and skill test) in country B.

Yes, that is possible. I did that and know of others.

EHLE, Netherlands

The FAA used to produce a great flight manual, free of charge downloadable online. Not really a course but the best versions in English, I have ever seen. The only difference between that and and Europe would be some of the law and a couple of items like altitude settings. Everything else stands you in good stead.
If you don’t mind doing the theory in French, loo up Lilenthal (I may have mispelt, terrible with names) this is/was a cd/dvd and excellent for the PPL as is the book which most PPL students in France use.
If the English books are still the same as they were in the 1990’s Blackshaw or Blackwell and somebody else, they have all the information you need and they are an even better cure for insomnia.

France

Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately I am looking for English-based training and something that can be recognized by other ATOs in Europe – so even with the FAA manuals I believe those will not count as a sort of discount for the in-class hours on the ground theory.

Orbit seems not providing the PPL, anything similar though that someone may recommend?
The Civil Aviation Training doesn’t look bad, but I have not found any reviews so far..

thanks!

Belgium

val1821 wrote:

The Civil Aviation Training doesn’t look bad

I’ve got my online training using the distance learning material of CAT Europe. Let’s say that CAT has big differences in the quality of the learning topics. I hoped that, regarding to my background as aircraft mechanic and my time as senior maintenance mechanic during my 12 years at German Airforce, i don’n need the course, but it’s a requirement of my aeroclub.

Additional to CAT i used the online questionair from aviationexam , in my case the german version. The FAA textbooks are a good source of information

EDHN, EDVM, Germany
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

sw1969 wrote:

Let’s say that CAT has big differences in the quality of the learning topics.

I totally agree (from W&B):

EDQH, Germany

I’ve done my PPL theory training last year with CATS Aviation. Was not perfect but pretty good overall.

If you go to your ATO for fly training having already succeed the theory exams, they can’t charge you for that part of the training.
However, it doesn’t mean you won’t have any ground school.

PS: I have the 7 books of the Air Pilots Manual serie in printed version. PM me if you are interested

Switzerland
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message