Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA IR Examiner in Scotland

A friend of mine is currently living in Scotland and his EASA IR is due for revalidation in May. As he cannot travel home to Germany due to the CoViD-19-rules in force, he is looking for an EASA-qualified IR examiner in the region. Any recommendations are appreciated, and also any hints where he could rent a suitable airplane for the checkride.
Thanks…

Friedrichshafen EDNY

Probably need to ‘phone around to find someone who is EASA exam authorised. Stapleford provides revalidation for IR, and if SEP and an MEP class rating is not required, and the last check ride was in an aircraft, the check ride can be carried out in the SIM.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Thank you, I’ll pass that along. SIM would be OK, last IR-revalidation was in the airplane and SEP is good until May 2022.
Any suggestions a little bit closer to Edinburgh than Stapleford?

Last Edited by tschnell at 05 Apr 20:25
Friedrichshafen EDNY

Just for reference: finding an EASA examiner in the South-East of England who has a current and valid licence right now is difficult enough (Brexit, SOLIs etc, lots of examiners are awaiting their certificates, with expired priviliges they can’t renew etc.).

My advice to your friend is to not constrain himself to Scotland only but be willing to travel down to England where the chances are better.

EDIT: The EASA IR skill test (the initial one at least) has to take place within EASA airspace, which the UK is not anymore. I am not sure about revalidations/renewals and I would double check and have it confirmed from the EASA National Aviation Authority your friend is with (many are confused about things regarding Brexit these days, better to have their blessing in writing rather than having to argue after the reval has been done). If in a simulator, it must be an EASA approved simulator.
To revalidate an IR in a simulator, one must have had his previous revalidation/renewal in the aircraft, and also hold a current class rating (MEP if it is a ME-IR revalidation, or SEP if it’s a SE-IR).

Last Edited by Alpha_Floor at 06 Apr 09:31
EDDW, Germany

My friend has found a suitable outfit: Gamston Flying School, an IRE with a Maltese authorisation and a Piper Warrior…

Last Edited by tschnell at 12 Apr 18:48
Friedrichshafen EDNY
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message