Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Long term lurker checking in

10 Posts

Hi, I am Markus and still in the process (sort of) of getting a PPL. My original plan was to be finished by summer but that won’t happen with the current situation. I guess I’m going to start over when Covid-19 is through. In the meantime I will at least participate in the rumor mill.

EDQH, Germany

Servus Markus! Welcome!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Welcome Markus ! Hope you will find this place informative and friendly.

LFOU, France

Well, I think euroga (and some aviation related podcasts) got me into flying because of the large percentage of pilots who use flying as a tool. I always had an interest in aviation but I’m more of a mission guy. Or should I say excuse guy? Just flying for an hour and then land back at the home base just isn’t for me. On the other hand planning, driving to the airfield, pre-flighting and finally flying for an hour is totally ok if it takes three hours instead of the two hour drive it substitutes. Since I hate driving for more than 200km I hope that flying will allow me some traveling to Scandinavia, France and southern Europe whilst still enjoying the travel portion and not only the staying there. But I think there is a high probability that I’m going to to give up flying few years after the PPL.

As for the friendliness, I do enjoy reading here. The major German flying forum for example has a lot of knowledgeable members but it’s quite stiff and yet full of flame wars so it is a pain to read it for more than 5 minutes.

EDQH, Germany

Welcome to EuroGA, Markus

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Do you mean flying for business of flying for vacation ?

I try to take my vacation flying. It is not easy nor cheap, requires a change of mindset but can be SO fun. If you look for them, you will find airfield-gems that are really worth the flight and the vacation. I have fond memories of our trip to Traben EDRM 11 month ago (report here).

Previous threads list some.

LFOU, France

I mean flying for vacation. Or make the flying the vacation.

Being a long time lurker, I have already read your trip report, Jujupilote. It’s exactly what I would like to do right now, maybe with better food 😉. Unfortunately, I need a license for that which I can’t get at the moment. And even with a license I guess it would still be illegal where I live since you are only allowed to go to work or shopping.

EDQH, Germany

…and living in your namesake’s home region, you will likely need a little longer than the rest of Germany ;-)
Private flights in Bavaria are banned as per Bavarian regional authorities (Luftamt).

And lots of small airports are voluntarily closed… EDQH at least could be used, if for a PPR fee of 10€ (and probably a question whether the flight is really urgent)

EDM_, Germany

Haha ! I have only been in Germany twice (and both times with an airplane) and food looks different to me, not bad ! I prefer that than ending in a posh brasserie like in Paris.
GA really allowed us to land somewhere we would never have been otherwise, and really feel abroad, more than a « easyjet standard european weekend », which seems a hobby for many people my age (I’m 28).

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 10 Apr 15:28
LFOU, France

Welcome Markus. The situation is bad luck for getting a licence, but I look forward to reading your trip reports when this is all over.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message