Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Southend EGMC Advice

Thanks all, I was planning to fly over tomorrow late afternoon and back again on saturday, but there is an occluded front in the way, and it looks pretty active too. We’ll have to postpone our visit. I have been googling some of your restaurant suggestions and it will be hard too choose! Can’t wait to go.

EHTE, Netherlands

Bobo wrote:

If anyone has a nice restaurant to recommend for a father and his 11 yo daughter in the city centre that would be much appreciated! I think we would both enjoy a pub type atmosphere.

Sarastro 126 Drury Lane
Must book, ask for an upstairs gallery table.
Fun theatrical place with good Mediterranean food – see website
Number 26 bus from Liverpool Street, sit up-top
Alight at Aldwych, 3 min walk to restaurant
Southend to Sarastro, 1hr and 20-30 mins

United Kingdom

Bobo wrote:

If anyone has a nice restaurant to recommend for a father and his 11 yo daughter in the city centre that would be much appreciated! I think we would both enjoy a pub type atmosphere.

Lore of the Land (Marylebone)
Jugged Hare (City/Barbican – also at the bottom of my street!)
The Orange (Chelsea)
Glassblower (Soho)

More in the “nice” pub category, with good food.

EGTF, United Kingdom

Yes, that would be London!

EHTE, Netherlands

Bobo wrote:

Bobo, did you mean London? Or Southend Airport? There is a Holiday Inn next door to EGMC with a restaurant. Please also note, that in the UK an actual pub might have and age restriction to enter (at least according to some of my colleagues who can’t enter some pubs with their 16-17 year-olds).
In London we recommend our friends The Swan restaurant at The Globe (as in Shakespear’s Globe theater) for some local experience.

EGTR

EHTE, Netherlands

And I want to save Elstree for another time to visit the Harry Potter Studio Tour…

EHTE, Netherlands

I was considering Biggin Hill, but kept reading nice things about Southend. The idea was to fly over, take the train to London, have a bite to eat see some sights and fly back again the next morning. Time is a factor, so this is worth considering. Thanks all! I don’t really need a IAP, but I do appreciate it, so I do not have to bother with overhead joins and such.

EHTE, Netherlands

boscomantico wrote:

So at least consider Biggin Hill and taking an UBER straight to where you want to go.

Or Elstree, Fairoaks, Denham – depending on where you need to be, if you don’t need IAPs. If you do need instrument approaches, then it would be Southend or Biggin, with Biggin having IAPs just to runway 21 (03 is circle to land).

EGTR

Still takes almost an hour though. That’s plus waiting for the train and getting to where you want to go from Liverpool station.
So at least consider Biggin Hill and taking an UBER straight to where you want to go. Costs 48 GBP to London Bridge for example. Outside of peak hours, it takes about 40 minutes.

Biggon Hill airport fees are of course noticeably higher than Southend’s these days.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message