Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Siai Marchetti SF260

SIAI MARCHETTI SF260

Having first seen a Siai Marchetti SF260 when I made a chance visit to the factory at Veregono in November 1968 and then being invited to fly the UK demonstration aircraft by UK agent James Baring on 23rd August 1969 I have had a long romance with designer Stelio Frati’s wonderful creation. It wasn’t until 1984 that I managed to acquire my own Marchetti, one which had just left the factory when I made that first visit to Veregono and had two previous private owners; since then we have enjoyed 2500 hours flying together, with many long trips both VFR and IFR as well as summer evening aerobatics sorties, and still do. I have also flown many other SF260 airframes including ferrying three 260D models from Texas to Ireland for the Irish Air Corps.

Designed by Frati as a follow on to his successful Falco the SF260 was initially conceived and marketed as a flying Ferrari, a 2+2 place sporting tourer with the speed, agility and looks of its four-wheeled Italian counterparts. But despite extensive marketing to the world wide private general aviation community its high price and demanding handling qualities failed to secure the market penetration that Siai Marchetti had hoped for, despite a valiant plan to assemble the aircraft from kits in the USA under the Waco Meteor brand name.

Despite the marketing difficulties production of the first SF260 variant, now known as the A model, was given a reprieve when Sabena ordered a batch of aircraft for their commercial pilot school a move which spurred Siai Marchetti to explore the military market for a relatively high performance training single piston aircraft. This move soon proved highly successful with orders flowing in from the Belgian, Italian and Libyan Airforces and later Ireland, Burma, Thailand, Singapore Turkey, Mexico and many smaller countries . With a beefed up wing structure the Warrior version of the SF260 was able to carry underwing munitions, usually rocket pods and small bombs; the SF260 saw action in the Libyan border skirmishes with Chad, in Rhodesia, and against the Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka. The most recent action involving SF260’s was the bombing of an oil refinery at Misrata by the Free Libyan Air Force during the civil war in 2011.

After 50 years of continuous production (Leonardo who now own the design still list the type as a current production model at somewhere North of $1million a copy!) the SF260 has perhaps become more refined although the basic structure and engine/propeller remain unchanged and most parts are interchangeable between variants. The aeroplane is clearly hand built, flush riveting is used throughout the airframe and there is a much evidence of attention to detail. The wing profile is remarkably thin, a reminder that this is a laminar flow section and the aircraft needs to be flown bearing that in mind, speed control is paramount. Fuel is contained in four tanks, inboard wing tanks of 49litres each side and the trademark tip tanks contain 72 litres per side. A four or five way fuel selector valve below the throttle quadrant is in constant use during long trips to maintain balance. The Marchetti’s “bete noire” is perhaps a lack of interior space, the cockpit width makes for a cosy fit for two front seat occupants of more than average dimensions and the rear bench seat is weight limited to 250lbs including baggage. Hence my description of the Marchetti as a 2+2, although there is quite enough space for two children or small adults in the back.

With a total usable fuel capacity of 235 litres the realistic maximum range with reserves is 635nm for the A model which cruises at 172kts consuming 50l/hour at FL70 using 21’’ and 2300rpm while the later models won’t see much more than 165kts at the same power setting cutting the practical range to about 610nm, but for these distances the type is definitely a two seater due to weight and balance considerations. Because of its wing the Marchetti could never be described as a short field aircraft, although the undercarriage is quite tolerant of grass runways. The 260 accelerates to lift-off speed of 70kts quickly because of its power/weight ratio, typically in 200-250m at medium weight but then the need to reach 85kts for best angle of climb, or 108kts for best rate consumes a lot of distance. For landing a target speed of 85kts for a stabilised approach with 50 flap is ideal, the aeroplane decelerates rapidly as soon as power is cut, I use 75kts for a short field approach which is just on the back of the drag curve and she quits flying rapidly when the power is reduced. Watch the speed like a hawk for this type of approach!

The original A model SF260’s are close now to being classic aircraft, even though they are visually almost identical to the current model, most are 50 years old or near it. With 1960’s upholstery, fittings and some instrumentation and switch gear the aircraft really do emulate that classic Italian era when Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, and Riva were in my view at their best.

The first update of the original SF260 occurred in 1974 with the introduction of the B model which had a taller fin and rudder to improve control in cross winds and a modified wing section on the outer sections of the wings which give a more benign stall but a reduced cruise speed. The most useful upgrade however was the introduction of a five-way fuel selector valve allowing fuel to feed from both tip tanks in the cruise.

By 1977 Siai had revised the ailerons to include servo tabs, slightly increased the dihedral and had to lower the pilot’s seat and shorten the stick to increase stick force in roll as the servo tabs proved too effective! These modifications led to the designation 260C.An uprated gear motor was also fitted giving 3 second instead of 10 second retraction and extension times.

1980 saw the company introduce the most radical variant, the 260TP by replacing the Lycoming O-540 E4A5 engine with a RR-Allison 250 turbine and Hartzel reversible 3-blade propeller. The weight saved by using this powerplant needed an extended engine bearer and longer nose cowling which perhaps detracts from the original good looks of the SF260 but gave it one hell of a climb rate! Unfortunately the thirsty turbine still only has the original 235 litre fuel capacity available which limits range and endurance to not much more than 360nm/2 hours with reserves, although military users could opt for drop tanks which fit on the underwing hard points. Siai actually produced kits to modify existing Lycoming powered C models to the TP version at eye-watering cost as well as manufacturing new 260TP’s for the military market.

The next update was the introduction of the D model in 1985 which borrowed the beefed up wingspar of the latest military variants to allow aerobatics with full fuel together with updated electrical systems, a jetisonable canopy and locking inertia reel seat belts. From introduction of the C model a Lycoming AEIO-540 engine with inverted oil and fuel systems could be ordered, but in practice they proved difficult to start when hot as the engine is tightly cowled.

A further update was the E model with an enlarged canopy, reinforced wing skins with “shark tooth” leading edges and an automatic fuel system borrowed from the TP version which saves manual selection of the four tanks but at the cost of maintaining transfer pumps and float level switches. As far as I know none of this variant have been sold to civil users.

In addition to the civil variants most of the 900 SF260 airframes built have been to military specifications and are known as 260W 260M 260AM 260SW and probably a few more designations.

Flying a SF260 always brings a smile to your face, the combination of 260 of Mr Lycoming’s horsepower in a small and very aerodynamically efficient airframe ensures sparkling performance, at light weight (one up and only fuel in the wing tanks (98 litres) I see 2500ft/min climb and a 65% power cruise of more than 170kts. Even at maximum take-off weight of 1102kgs which equates to full fuel (245 litres) and two occupants the climb is 1750ft/min at the best rate of climb of 108 kts, although I tend to cruise climb at 120kts to aid engine cooling.

Quite why the Marchetti feels so good to fly has always challenged me but my main conclusion is that it just doesn’t feel like a light aircraft., it’s more like a swept wing jet except for the noise. Gust penetration is good as the wing loading is high for this type of aircraft and control response is immediate. Just like a thoroughbred sports car it feels right and invites you to use its capabilities, to me it seems a sacrilege to fly it as one would do a Piper/Cessna/Cirrus. Aerobatics are a delight, more so with the C models onwards as they have servo tabs on the ailerons but the earlier models are more comfortable and laterally stable for travelling long distances, particularly in IMC.

Care is needed in the circuit, the flap limiting speed for the initial 20 setting is 130kts and 108kts for gear down operation. Thereafter it is a narrow speed band, less than 85kts with full flap and anything more than 20 degrees of bank is extremely in-advisable, even on the B and later models with the modified outer wing profiles, the aircraft departs quite violently with full flap and gear down in a typical “finals turn” stall taking at least 1500ft to recover….I last tried that in a D model and bust the gear limiting speed in the recovery. It was started at 5000ft which is why I am still here!

The A model needs flying on for a gentle landing, helped by the trailing link undercarriage geometry on all SF260’s whereas the later models are more benign and more “light aircraft” in the flare. Landing distances are reasonable as the brakes are powerful and 50 degrees flap helps with aerodynamic braking.
Take-offs are lively because of the power available, the acceleration is electric compared to most light aircraft but care needs to be taken to use rudder and then hit the best climb speed of 108kts after lift-off especially when heavy and hot as the acceleration phase can consume a lot of distance. Full right rudder can be needed during take-off with a crosswind especially on the A models which don’t have the taller fin and rudder.
The early SF260’s are certified as 4 seat aircraft, and unlike later models are flown from the left hand seat. The military train pilots to fly right hand on stick, left hand on throttle, so all models from the C were configured to be flown from the right hand seat

The TP version is a Marchetti on steroids. Not only is it much smoother than the O-540 versions but really does feel like a proper jet trainer, except it is speed limited to a slightly lower Vne of 229kts than the 236kts of the piston engined 260, airframes I have flown included electric aileron and rudder trim systems. But sadly the lower Vne applies, and the civil versions cannot carry more than the standard 235 litres of usable fuel .which severely limits range and endurance. It is a superb aerobatic mount, in my view a much better training aircraft than the Tucano and almost on a par with the PC9 but so much cheaper to buy and run if somewhat slower.

Maintaining a Marchetti is much easier than keeping a late sixties Ferrari serviceable and surprisingly, cheaper (I know having had a couple of 365GTB Daytonas). And being an EASA ELA1 aircraft due to its MTOW of 1102kgs I have my own self declared maintenance programme which avoids excessive maintenance like 6 year prop overhauls irrespective of flying time and the factory recommended 1500 hour gear motor overhaul ( my aircraft isn’t used for circuit bashing). .There are items that need more constant attention than Siai Marchetti suggest, for instance you can’t grease the undercarriage linkages enough and the undercarriage micro switches need cleaning frequently. The wing root fairing fasteners have an annoying habit of loosening unless locktite is used so need checking regularly. There were a number of important AD’s issued in the early years of production, mainly concerning the gear retraction system and one which called for doublers to be fitted to all control surface hinge mounts but these are most likely to have been satisfied on any aircraft currently flying and would only be relevant if you were lucky enough to discover a “barn find” SF260.that has been in hibernation for the last 40 years! There are two very minor recurrent AD’s which take 30 minutes of mechanic time (including the paperwork) every 50 hours.

The most misunderstood part of the SF260’s design is without doubt the undercarriage retraction system. I have to admit that even having graduated as an aeronautical engineer it took me some years to fully understand its subtleties and how to adjust the micro switches and push rods. For a start the original factory wiring diagram in my maintenance manual was wrong or perhaps Luigi at the factory thought he had a better way of doing it back in 1968 when he was helping build my aeroplane. The adjustments are geometric and need practice, the system operates by an electric jack-screw moving bell-cranks and swivel joints to operate spring loaded push rods and over centre locks on the undercarriage operating arms. There is also a mechanical wind down mechanism that you use if the electrics fail, it needs 25 counter.-clockwise turns of the handle while flying the aeroplane with the other hand…..and is hard work, best done at height and around 85kts with 20 flap.

Parts for a Marchetti are expensive….as most of their customers are military they charge like wounded Rhinos. They seem to have the attitude that if you are an private owner of an exclusive aeroplane you can afford our prices but fortunately the type were so well designed and built that airframe parts (usually only available from the factory) are seldom needed. I am fortunate enough to have an original parts book which shows all the original parts manufacturers and their part numbers, I have also found most of the original equipment suppliers so seldom need to order from the factory..

In summary the SF260 is a truly amazing aeroplane with a combination of performance, handling and looks that I don’t think any other type has ever achieved despite it being a 1960’s design. Yes others can claim to be as fast, can certainly carry more load in considerably greater comfort but nothing else has the “fighter” handling nor that indefinable Italian style that still makes me look at it as I leave the hangar.. I was once targeted by a Cirrus dealer and invited to test fly a SR22, the Mrs. thought it was lovely, comfortable and quiet, just the type of aeroplane in which she could happily read a book or do some knitting. I had to counter that with the observation why would I replace my classic Ferrari with a new Mercedes S Class, and which one more accurately reflects my personality?

Buying a Marchetti needs as much care as with any other type. Many of the SF260’s on civil registers are ex military variants; because of this they are often ineligible for full civil certification; the factory seem reluctant or simply unable to confirm whether individual airframes were built in conformity with the civil type certificate. So there are a good number of airframes which currently have to operate on Special or Exhibition Category Cof A’s. If you want to operate internationally, or IFR, this is a point worth considering and will undoubtedly reflect on their market value. Prices (as advertised) seem to be in the range $225k for uncertified ex-military aircraft to $600k+ for TP versions.

Wonderful write up, full of factual information that I hope may serve me some day – I’d like to own one. Thanks very much. My choice would be one in FAA Experimental Exhibition to loosen up parts supply issues without any US operational issues. I’ll add some photos taken by me below.

Here’s the cockpit of a newer Italian Air Force version, circa 2008 production. Note the right seat pilot location, which is typical.

These were at the time of the photo timed out, no longer flying, needing new wings. I offered to take one off their hands if it would help with the storage problem…

This one belongs to a guy I know, and was already taken off their hands and moved to the other side of the world

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 May 02:12

Beautiful writeup, Marchettiman

I had no idea they were made so recently.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A gorgeous (mythical!) aircraft, very interesting to read your write-up – any pics of your Marchetti?

I have to agree with you: no way I’d replace a Marchetti with a Cirrus (lol!). It all depends what you want, and what you intend to do, of course. Thank goodness there’s (mostly) something for everyone out there.

Jenny

Bordeaux

Thank you for the excellent write up – I was lucky to fly one, a D I believe some years ago out of Milano Bresso – doing an aileron roll over Lake Como with snow capped peaks was definitely a high point in the log book.

Having too many hours in thick winged Pipers (I do have some time in the Comanche but have always found that aircraft to be quite benign), I rounded out on the landing and the owner started exclaiming ‘musso giú, musso giú’ ie keep the nose down! He was ex F-104 Starfighter pilot so having some agricultural clod used to Clark Y airfoils landing his precious 260 must have added some grey hairs.

He claimed it could be nursed non stop from Milan to Biggin but fiddling with the fuel tanks would keep you entertained.

Another owner has one of the early versions, an A I believe, and he claims he likes the original better. They have reasonable propeller clearance so can be used in long grass strips.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The only thing missing in your beautiful write up is PICTURES. This is one of my fantasy planes!

Tököl LHTL

Picture of panel during a flight with an Italian Airforce SF260 a few years ago.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

An Italian friend of mine owned one for a while and I had the pleasure of doing some acros with him in it. Amazing machine!

That’s an interesting shot of the panel….shows 25’’ and 2500rpm at 800ft (about 80% power) in a descent at 800ft/min and only 150kts IAS. I know the military don’t polish their aeroplanes but that is a slow Marchetti!

Wonderful write-up Merchettiman, thanks for posting it.
There’s only one plane better than a Falco! (Or so i’m Led to believe because i’ve Never flown one)……

Forever learning
EGTB
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message